seat confusion

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tripleup05

Reaction score
Hey guys. My jon boat had benches with seats mounted to the benches, but I have done away with the benches and installing decking instead. The problem is that I am completely confused by all of the seating options out there. More specifically...the seating hardware options. I would like to use my old seats to save money. They have no swivel or anything attached...just seats. The mounting holes are about 6" away from one another in a square pattern. What do I need to buy to mount these things to my decks. I need one seat to be around 24"-30" off the deck and one about 12-16" off the deck. This page from Bass Pro just confuses the tar out of me...https://www.basspro.com/Boating-Boat-Seats-Furniture-Accessories-Seat-Pedestals-Accessories/_/N-1z11d4c#Category

You'll need a seat mounting plate. It's square with a pinand usually a spring sticking out of it. That bolts to your seat in the f holes you mentioned. Then you can get either a fixed mounting pole or a removable pole. The removable pole's come in various sizes. Pick the height you want. If you get a removable (it could be screw in or push in) you will also need a base plate which bolts to the floor/deck of the boat.
If you are not concerned about making your boat top heavy, I recommend the removable pole system. If you need room to move around in the boat, you can yank the seat out. With a fixed mount, you're stuck.
The removable system will cost arount $65 and up, depending on the type and features. The fixed type will cost less than $30 at Walmart. I hope that helps.

I have the same problem as you. A boat, Some seats and nothing between.
I have been looking at sets. Saves a little money and you get components that fit together.

Remember the cheap ones are only for sitting or trolling. You need a pretty good pedestal if you are under way.

I would agree with PartsMan. It depends on what type of boat you have and what you plan to do with it. I have two benches left in my boat. One in the bow and one in the stern. The ones in the bow and the stern have a 3/4" diameter pin set up. It is a seat with a swivel base attached to the bottom of the seat with a male end attached to it. On the bench is the base with a female end to it where the seat plugs in. This is low about bench level until I reach the fishing spot where I have a piece that will extend the seat and allow it to sit up a little higher. In the middle I have a 2 3/8" diameter seat base attached to the flat floor. This seat can swivel for fishing, but when I am moving it will lock so the person sitting is not spinning all over the place.

In my searching seats and seat pedestals are a little pricey it comes down to what you would want. I paid a little more because I wanted my seats removable to allow for more room when they are not in use. Some seat pedestals are only a metal tube that allows the seat to bolt to it.

If you are able I would check out a Bass Pro Shop, Cabelas, or even a Wal Mart for seating options. I know the Wal Mart
5 min from my house has a boating section where you can look at the kits in person it's a little better than looking online.

Thanks for the replies.

So basically there is a base, post, and seat mount with a million different options between those three items, all of which must be compatible with the other. Or you can buy a non removable, fixed pedestal. Either way, this ain't gonna be real cheap #-o

If I decided to get this https://www.cabelas.com/product/Boating/Boat-Seats/Pedestals-Bases%7C/pc/104794380/c/104705280/sc/104492880/Swivl-Eze-Pin-Pedestal-Set/699917.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse%2Fboating-boat-seats-pedestals-bases%2F_%2FN-1100617%2FNs-CATEGORY_SEQ_104492880%3FWTz_l%3DUnknown%253Bcat104794380%253Bcat104705280&WTz_l=Unknown%3Bcat104794380%3Bcat104705280%3Bcat104492880 (Swivel-Eze Pin Pedestal Set) could I later upgrade to a power pole type of pedestal as long as it is by Swivel-Eze and pin type, such as this https://www.cabelas.com/product/Boating/Boat-Seats/Pedestals-Bases%7C/pc/104794380/c/104705280/sc/104492880/Swivl-Eze-3434-Power-Pin-Pedestals/700979.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse%2Fboating-boat-seats-pedestals-bases%2F_%2FN-1100617%2FNs-CATEGORY_SEQ_104492880%3FWTz_l%3DUnknown%253Bcat104794380%253Bcat104705280&WTz_l=Unknown%3Bcat104794380%3Bcat104705280%3Bcat104492880?

I have been debating this forever. I finally made a decision. I am getting the cheap-0 economy pedestals from Bass Pro with the $10 swivels. Both pedestals and the swivels will be a fraction the cost of one quality base, pedestal, and swivel set.

Latest posts