Water pipe insulation for protectin wire and cables, anyone

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rusty.hook

Reaction score
Anyone use water pipe insulation for channling wire and cables. It should be water proof because it protects the pipes. If it got water logged it would help freeze the pipes faster, am I wrong? It is already cut so it can fit over existing pipes, any thoughts on this for boating use?

home depot has some plastic conduit thats split down one side. its used to hide wires along baseboards and corners and is double side tape along the back. perfect for hiding wire and it drains.

Foam pipe insulation is of the closed cell type which will not let water to be absorbed by it. I am not sure about UV light damage to it from the sun. Wire looms on the other hand will take up much less space than the pipe insulation. I would choose the wire loom myself.

PartsMan said:
I don't think pipe insulation is going to handle water or SUNLIGHT very well.

If you think it will not handle water, then why is it for "WATER pipes"? That is like saying a boat is not good for fishing out of.

Matt

I was thinking mostly about the shift, gas, and steering cables. It would be big enough inside diameter to handle all three cables, and some wires that follow those cables. I was talking about where they would contact other things, like the sides of the boat and give them some protection. For sure it would be water proof, jus' sayin'
I was also thinking about using the clear tubing they use in some live wells, so you could see your wires.

the wire loom mentioned in an earlier post comes in different sizes, look at auto parts store and should find some large enough to cover your cables. While the water pipe insulation would work, I don't think it would last as long as the wire loom if it rubs against something else.

MattR said:
PartsMan said:

If you think it will not handle water, then why is it for "WATER pipes"? That is like saying a boat is not good for fishing out of.

Matt

I believe the foam insulation for pipes protects the pipe from the cold wind, which will cause pipes to freeze. Much like the wind chill will cause people to get colder quicker. The closed-cell foam properties is to enable the foam to not soak-up water and eventually become a popsicle around the pipes, which could more than likely cause frozen pipes. I'd go with the wire looms from HD, Lowe's, etc.

Waterwings said:
MattR said:
PartsMan said:

Matt

I believe the foam insulation for pipes protects the pipe from the cold wind, which will cause pipes to freeze. Much like the wind chill will cause people to get colder quicker. The closed-cell foam properties is to enable the foam to not soak-up water and eventually become a popsicle around the pipes, which could more than likely cause frozen pipes. I'd go with the wire looms from HD, Lowe's, etc.

WW - wind will cause things to cool down faster - but does not actually lower the temperature. Just makes it "feel" colder

MattR said:
PartsMan said:

Matt

The whole point is that the foam isn't the pipe and doesn't carry water. The foam helps to protect and insulate existing water pipes from freezing.

In a boat/wire application, i agree with others that the plastic wire loom would work better. I don't think the foam would handle UV light very well and would easily break down over time. The wire loom is built with wiring in mind. It protects and organizes the wires and is built for auto/marine applications.

Latest posts