Bumping out dents

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dyeguy1212

Reaction score
I've got a softball sized bent I need to take out of my new ride. I'll get pics up asap.

The dent is on the front of the hull, somewhere around the water line. Assuming I can get to the dent from the inside, I'm hoping I can knock it out and get it to look somewhat normal. Being a mod v, the hull has the slight curvature where the dent is, so its going to be tough to get it looking right.

Any tips?

I thought about buying a cheap set like this: https://www.harborfreight.com/automotive-motorcycle/auto-body/7-piece-body-and-fender-set-31277.html to avoid using a 2x4 and a hammer :roll:

If you know a body shop worker I would bet they could do it in a few minutes. I had a friend of mine fix a dent like that in five minutes who knew what he was doing with the hammers and the dollys.

bAcKpAiN said:
If you know a body shop worker I would bet they could do it in a few minutes. I had a friend of mine fix a dent like that in five minutes who knew what he was doing with the hammers and the dollys.

I actually have an uncle that owns two collision shops, :lol:

I'm just the type that doesn't like to call up asking favors. He's always done a lot for our family, and while he's the type that would give you the shirt off his back, I try not to ask too much.

I might have to come in and use his tools though, and at least save myself the 30 bucks. I'm pretty sure I could do it myself (or with one other person), but my bodyshop skills are a lot like my woodworking skills: better in my head than they are in reality :lol:

dyeguy1212 said:
bAcKpAiN said:

I actually have an uncle that owns two collision shops, :lol:

I'm just the type that doesn't like to call up asking favors. He's always done a lot for our family, and while he's the type that would give you the shirt off his back, I try not to ask too much.

I might have to come in and use his tools though, and at least save myself the 30 bucks. I'm pretty sure I could do it myself (or with one other person), but my bodyshop skills are a lot like my woodworking skills: better in my head than they are in reality :lol:

Where at in MI are you?

I thought maybe you could borrow my set. I have the same one from harbor freight.

Personally, I would have someone else pound it out. Just because you could make things worse.

If you do it yourself, keep in mind the dolley doesn't go directly behind the hammer blow.

If it's little that is an option.

I have about a 1/4 sized ding in mine, that I'm going to use filler on after it's primered.

dyeguy1212 said:
Well thanks for the offer! Wish the **** thing was painted.. I'd just fiberglass bondo it and paint over it :roll:

I think you'd find that the bondo would pop out down the road, as it won't flex with the aluminum, nor expand/contract at the same rate with temp. variations.

Do be careful with it. Aluminum self hardens when bent. Bending something back to where it was originally, after having bent it once is real bad for it. It is quite unlike steel, and body shop guys that work primarily on cars aren't always experienced with it.

bassboy1 said:
dyeguy1212 said:
Well thanks for the offer! Wish the **** thing was painted.. I'd just fiberglass bondo it and paint over it :roll:

I think you'd find that the bondo would pop out down the road, as it won't flex with the aluminum, nor expand/contract at the same rate with temp. variations.

Do be careful with it. Aluminum self hardens when bent. Bending something back to where it was originally, after having bent it once is real bad for it. It is quite unlike steel, and body shop guys that work primarily on cars aren't always experienced with it.

Any suggestions to fix it?

[[/quote]:I think you'd find that the bondo would pop out down the road, as it won't flex with the aluminum, nor expand/contract at the same rate with temp. variations.

Do be careful with it. Aluminum self hardens when bent. Bending something back to where it was originally, after having bent it once is real bad for it. It is quite unlike steel, and body shop guys that work primarily on cars aren't always experienced with it.[/quote][/quote]

Bassboy knows his metal properties =D> =D>

bassboy1 said:

Personally, I have fond memories associated with all of my dents :) They don't bother me, I don't bother them and neither of us leak :)

I actually have an uncle that owns two collision shops,

Here's a thought. . . Ask if he will straighten the dent, in return for a day out on the water soon. You both win !

bassboy1 said:
dyeguy1212 said:

The same can be said when using "bondo" on anything except a material similar to the "bondo" itself.

I wouldn't fill dents with it, but little dings should be fine. There are lots of different types of fillers. And some are a far cry from the red bondo stuff that we all think of when we hear Bondo.
Some fillers are much stronger, lighter, more flexible, etc.

It's up to the owner to decide if the cost is worth it to fill some dings, as the stuff isn't cheap or readily available.
Only reason I'm using it to fill a ding is because it is small, and I have a gallon of the good stuff that didn't cost me anything.

Latest posts