Offering someone a price?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

diabetik11

Reaction score
what would you offer a person that has a 1232 sea nymph jon boat that is 2yrs old and only touch water 10 times. boat only, it is in like new shape no holes or dents. it has a 5hp rating
thanks

I won't give you any exact number but will give you an idea or two. Here's the system I use for anything I buy used: If it's in like new condition, I won't pay anything more than 75% of the retail value of it. I figure if I have to pay close to retail, I'll just buy it new with a warranty.

With this in mind, do some homework and find out what it costs brand new. In perfect condition or not, it's still used. If the guy is throwing in a bunch of extras, look at those as well and determine a fair used value.

Also, check the local craigslist and classified ads for similar products. Figure out what the going rate is for that style/size boat and offer a little less.

clarkbre said:
I won't give you any exact number but will give you an idea or two. Here's the system I use for anything I buy used: If it's in like new condition, I won't pay anything more than 75% of the retail value of it. I figure if I have to pay close to retail, I'll just buy it new with a warranty.

With this in mind, do some homework and find out what it costs brand new. In perfect condition or not, it's still used. If the guy is throwing in a bunch of extras, look at those as well and determine a fair used value.

Also, check the local craigslist and classified ads for similar products. Figure out what the going rate is for that style/size boat and offer a little less.

+1

Try to figure out what similar boats go for on CL. Tough to find the exact one, but maybe a size up or down to get a feel for what they cost in your area. Here in MI, I wouldn't pay anything close to 75% of the retail, but that's because prices are low around here.

You can get a new one for about $550. I wouldn't probably pay more than $300. I'm with Froggy on this one. 1232 isn't really anything you want to modify. I'd typically start at a 1436 if you want to mod it. You can get a new 1436 for $650.

Since you're right down the road, I'll PM you if I see anything locally.

I would only pay slightly less than what I could get for it at the scrap yard. That way you make a little profit to buy a bigger more stable boat. Not trying to be a smart$$$ but I have owned a 1436 and it was not ideal n
Jeff

Latest posts