need advice

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonmac

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I am looking at getting a new boat in the next couple of weeks and would like some advice.

I am looking at 2 boats one is the Tracker Topper 1542 and the other is a G3 1544.
There is about 600.00 dollar difference between these 2 with the Tracker being the cheapest.

So if it was your money to spend which one would you go with?

The Tracker does not have the ribs that go up the sides but the G3 does, is this a real concern or am over thinking this? It will be powered with a 6 horse Evinrude and Trolling motor depending on which lake I fish. Also I do not think that I will be on any real rough water mostly protected coves and small lakes.

My other option is to keep what I have and be happy, it is a 1970 Appleby v bottom that is pretty narrow.
The problem with it is I cannot take my kids out in it and my wife said it was to small and she would not go either.

So what say you?

I would go with the G3. The ribs help with the loads the boat must carry. If I had a choice I would go with the ribs everytime. One other thing...if you ever wanted to put in a floor the ribs will give you a nice place to bolt the flooring to and you can fill the area underneath with foam.

Of the two, G3 hands down.

The Tracker is one flimsy little rig. There is a reason for the $600 difference.

Thanks for the quick replies, that is what I was thinking about the ribs but the difference in money, well just had to ask.

rusty.hook said:
NEVER EVER BUY A RIVITED BOAT, nothing but problems later on, go with the G3, jus' sayin'

That's a pretty bold statement :? I've owned some riveted boats over 20 years old that didn't leak a drop..

rusty.hook said:
NEVER EVER BUY A RIVITED BOAT, nothing but problems later on, go with the G3, jus' sayin'

hmmm... and NEVER EVER BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU READ ON THE INTERNET, nothing but problems later on. :D

So it kinda sounds like I need to wait till I get a little more money up in order to buy a welded rig. Both boats are riveted.
I think I will keep what I have and just fish.

Thanks for the advice.

Jon

I have a 1544 G3 with a 25 hp and I love it. Mine has a foot controlled TM up front.
Save your $$$ and get one of these, you'll never regret it. Solid as a rock!!!

Latest posts