what would you do?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ndthwacker

Reaction score
Hey all just wanted some advice on what i should do i cant decide really what would work the best? i havea 1448 mod v all weld witha 25hp suzuki 2 stroke on it. i need to lift my motor up about a inch and a half to have it set high as i can and i want to be able to go faster and run little shallower if possible. these are all the options i was thinking of.
I either was going to get a cmc pt 35, Get a jackplate with possible trim tabs, or a hydrofoil. I was just wondering what you would do to get what im looking for. How much top end would a cmc give me? And also could i run any shallower with it trimmed up at full speed? thanks everyone

glad you posted this! as i took my 1448 with a 20hp 4 stroke out today and noticed that mine needs to be about 2" higher while running. are you getting a ton of spray everywhere when you get it trimmed out right? when running mine is running at the plate above the cavitation plate and i am trying to figure out a way to raise mine on the cheap

i have a stingray on mine that helps great with plane time. i tried it, took it off and couldnt wait to put it back on. it makes a noticble difference on my boat.

lovedr79, I am not getting any spray but i also at plane am at the plate above the cav plate and just want a better performace as of speed and want to run shallower. I think that the trim ould help me out and i could be able to mount the whole cmc unit about 2 inches higher then that would would raise my motor as a jackplate would do but then still also have the ability to trim up for more speed. But need a little advise on what would be the best for speed and skinny water. hat boat do you have? mine is a 05 tracker grizzly mod v all weld and from what i have read alot of people are getting around 30 to 35 mps and i am onle geting about 26. I was ondering what speeds you are getting with your 20hp?

well i could make somehting but i want a 5 in setback also i know that the jackplate will help run a little shallower but will i pick up speed, and if so will it improve my top end as good as a trim would? and i know that a trim would pick help top speed but will it help me run shallower like a jackplate would?

I have a 2010 grizzly 1448sc I get max 22 by myself. That's why I started looking at what exactly was going on with mine. I have read that people are getting 25-30. I fish skinny river water. I think I am going to make one similar to the dillon plate. Shoulkdnt be too hard. And its a lot cheaper. My only concern is steering cable lenth........

You can use a jack plate to get your Cav plate even with or slightly above the bottom of the boat. That will help you to run shallower.

I don't see how a fin will help you to run shallower. All I have ever heard they do is help you get on plane faster and eliminate porpoising at speed. They also slow you down slightly because of the added drag.

I got one of the small jackplates from BPS and after re-measuring my motor set-up. The cavitation plate is almost 2 inches above the bottom of my boat.

Attachments

• Middleburg-Clay Hill-20110316-00105.jpg
    Middleburg-Clay Hill-20110316-00105.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 1,275
so i understand that the jack plate will help run shallower then a trim n tilt? also a jackplate is also what would help me pick up more speed? so a jackplate is the way to go over a power trim and tilt? also do they make a manual jackplate for clamp on motors i narroed jackplates down to a th marine or cmc, which one of these have you herd are better as far as quality and who stands behind there product more?

well i did some searching today online, i found a site where a guy has the plans, materials list and pics of a homeade jack plate, pretty simple design, easy to make. it was on a florida based forum. then i got to thinking, and measuring, my cav plate is 3" below the hull. i was thinking about just the vertical transom supports, the look like two heavy pieces of aluminum angle that raise the motor vertically which would save me from having to buy a longer steerin cable. BP gave me about 5' of extra everything except the steering cable which is exactly the length needed for where it sits now. i was also pondering making my own vertical support which would be a 2"x4" aluminum or steel tube ontop of the transom, then sandwich it on both sides of the transom with some aluminum plate that extends the to the bottom of the motor barackets about 10" down the transom. i would put bushings in the tube where the bolts go through to keep from crushing the tube. it would be setup kind of like some boats i have seen with a jet outboard.

any thoughts?

i thought i was on to something apprently "my" idea works as i just found one. :( they are called transom elevators, but i will make my own as i can only find them for about $186.99! i think i may go check out a metal supplier to see what all i can find and how expensive this little project is going to cost.

lovedr79 i put a aluminum floor in my boat and was not cheap to do from the cost of buying aluminum i figured that would would just buy one instead of doing it myself, for what you are looking for i would look at cmc mini jacker or th marine has some cheap jackplates and also bobs machine has some nice one to but i want a adjuastable one for diff loads. i still cant find what a adjustable jackplate made for a clamp on motor so if anyone has seen one or came across one please let me know? also how fast can your boat go with your 20hp on it. thanks again.

i am getting 22 alone. 20 with a passenger. i know it can do more plus i am getting alot of spray into the boat from the motor when i get it trimmed out right. i measured it today and i am 3" below the hull. the setup i am thinking about sholdnt be too expensive. it would be about 12" wide and about 10-12" down the transom. i have found some ideas online, but have a few of my own. i may even go with steel for price plus i can weld steel.

Latest posts