what size aluminum stock is sufficient?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dr_beerman

Reaction score
Hello - This week I'm picking up the aluminum stock for the deck framing in my 18' Starcraft Rogue. Did some searching/reading through the site but couldn't come to a decision for my project. I've seen builds with 1.5", 1.25" and 1" aluminum stock for framing construction. The deck flooring in my boat will be sheet aluminum. Right now my opinion is that 1" will be fine but I would like to hear from more experienced builders than me. Thanks in advance.

I'm not experienced as I havnt started my decks yet but I plan to use the 1" angle as well just to keep weight down. I'm a fat guy so I'm trying to trim weight every where I can. I'm gonna atempt to buy my framing stock at the scrap yards so I'm not sure I'll be able to find 1" stock but I'm durn sure gonna try. I'm using aluminum for my flooring as well. How thick is your flooring material? I'm using old road construction aluminum signs for my flooring.

I'll be using 1/8" (.125) sheet aluminum for the floor. I think that's the same thickness as a road sign. glad to hear you have a supply, that stuff is painfully expensive

Just took my dial indicater out and measured it. My floor isnt perfectly clean so it may not be right on but it measured .120.

I got enought of this stuff to build a few boats and I got it all for free. Check with the construction safety equipment rental places. I went in and asked if they had any old signs in good conditionthey wanted to sell. They gave me a whole skid of signs and most of them are in perfect condition!! The only wood on my boat will be the transom!!

I used 1.5" angle at 1/8" thickness for the subframe and 1" box tubing with 1/8" walls. It worked well and is strong enough for my needs.

Latest posts