Help !!!!! I need rivet help

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vanbc

Reaction score
I have had to drill out the rivets that are holding the support beam for the transom. It goes from the floor to the transom. I have found and bought solid aluminum rivets to replace these but it looks like i need a power rivet gun to make these properly seat and not leak. Using 2 hammers does not seem like a good idea.

Does any one have any ideas on what I can do ?
Can I use a pop rivet gun but with closed end rivets?

any help on this would be great
Thanks !!!

If your only doing a couple of em, the 2 hammer trick should be fine. It shouldnt take a terrible amount of compression to seal those up. I would definately stay with the solid rivets below the waterline.

Just curious why you removed those? Did that entire bracket have to be removed to get to the transom? I cut the rivets in the back and replaced them with SS bolts when I replaced the transom but I left the bottom ones alone. The new transom slipped right in behind the support with out having to remove it completely.

Find someone nearby with the proper tools, or use some stainless bolts.

BassBlaster said:
If your only doing a couple of em, the 2 hammer trick should be fine. It shouldnt take a terrible amount of compression to seal those up. I would definately stay with the solid rivets below the waterline.

Just curious why you removed those? Did that entire bracket have to be removed to get to the transom? I cut the rivets in the back and replaced them with SS bolts when I replaced the transom but I left the bottom ones alone. The new transom slipped right in behind the support with out having to remove it completely.

The old wood was so tight and tucked under a lip. The only way i could remove it and get the new one in is to remove that bar. I realy did not want to do it but there was no other way.
not sure if you can see in this picture. This is the new plywood. and its smaller than the old one.
P1010361.jpg

Since your going through the trouble of doing this, take that new transom back out and put several coats of spar urethane on it and it will more than double its life.

Mine was a little more difficult. I had to cut those corner supports off and fold that lip back and pull it out from the top so I didnt need to remove that bracket. Now I'm waiting on the corner supports to be welded back on and have been for months.

BassBlaster said:
Since your going through the trouble of doing this, take that new transom back out and put several coats of spar urethane on it and it will more than double its life.

Mine was a little more difficult. I had to cut those corner supports off and fold that lip back and pull it out from the top so I didnt need to remove that bracket. Now I'm waiting on the corner supports to be welded back on and have been for months.
Awww that sucks. I thought about doing that but it looked like to much work. regarding the spar urethane, already done :p

:twisted:
So i got mad today and decided to hit something. Well the rivets are in and it looks water tight :p

Thanks everyone for your advice