New member.. old boat.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ortwein

Reaction score
hey guys just was doing some googling and stumbled onto this site. seems great so far

I picked upa boat and trailer last fall and have been working on it till winter. its a Springbok make and i have a 1972 Johnson 20hp going onto the back

as you can see in the pics it needed some work. I picked it up for $200 boat and trailer which was fine by me.
here some pics.
The day i got it (with new bearings and rims)
IMG_3078.jpg

IMG_3079.jpg

IMG_3077.jpg

IMG_3076.jpg

IMG_3080.jpg

then i rebuilt the trailer.
IMG_4204.jpg

IMG_4207.jpg

IMG_4208.jpg

IMG_4203.jpg

Then boat goes back onto trailer to continue work.

IMG_4209.jpg

I then had to deal with the rotten transom.
IMG_4212.jpg

IMG_4211.jpg

I was an idioit and didn't take a good look at how to remove the transom and i took the side of the boat apart to remove it insted of the middle support bracket. stupid me. I then bought the right tools to install solid rivits and got to work putting the side back together.

then winter came and the boat sat in the back yard till now and i STILL don't know if my side repairs worked or where it leaks elts where in the boat.

ill be updating when i do get a chance thats forsure, look forward to comments

Great Boat! I picked up almost the exact same boat and trailer last summer. Redecked it carpeted it, put a livewell seats and all kinds of fun stuff in it. Best part was I only payed about $150 for the boat. Hoping to work on the trailer this summer. I had the same problem with the transom. The wood was all rotten so it was easy to take the time and just slowly break it apart. I ended up taking the front area off the boat and opening it up.

Ill try and post some picks. Maybe give you some ideas.

Goodluck!

madiganb547 I would love to see what you did, more ideas the better!! make a thread and link it over.

The plans for this boat are very simple .... if it floats...

going to have 6 seats, a bit of storage and have a bunch of fish coming into it haha

I am going to sdtart stripping some paint off it soon then once the ice gets off the lake ill be testing it before i spend much $ on it.

thanks for the comments guys keep them coming good or bad. Ill be updating as I do stuff

Ortwein,
I had an old Ozark tri-hull with a rotten transom. I cut the top off the transom and pulled all the rotten wood out with a hook. Then I cut a piece of 2 inch oak the approximate size of the missing wood. I then used this product https://www.rotdoctor.com/ to fill in around and between the two areas. The end result was a very strong transom. The boat was fiberglass so you may be able to disassemble it to replace all the entire transom...I couldn't. The trailer looks great. =D>

Latest posts