source for self etching primer

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Diesel Dan

Reaction score
where is the cheapest place to buy some self etching primer? I found some at Home Depot for $5.48 a can. Anyone know of a better deal? Also, how many cans do I need to buy for a 1440 flatbottom? Thanks.

Thats actually not a bad price. I get mine at WalMart. Its around the same price there. If you go to walmart, its in the auto section, not the paint department.

10-4, thanks. am just trying to squeeze the pennies. My wife has started asking questions about what I am spending on this boat. I found some on sale @ Advance Auto Parts for $5.00 a can. I'll keep looking and if I have not found it cheaper by friday I'll get that. Recken how many cans should I buy?

Not sure. I bought 6 cans but I still need to get some welding done so I havnt primed it yet. Mine is a 1436. I'm sure I got way too much though now that I think about it. Maybe not though if you follow the instructions, it says to use 3 coats. I think I used 6 or 7 cans on my trailer.

just a thought....but what about metal primer? I have read a lot about guys using self etching primer on here. I myself have used it for my motor restore, but what about a plain metal primer. For name brand (ex. Rustoleum) it seems to be about a buck of two cheaper for a metal primer compared to a self etching. Is it that self etching is just better quality or adheres better than a plain old metal primer? Like I said just a thought if you were talking about pinching pennies.

Heres the way I understand it. The etching primer has some sort of acid or additive in it to cut through the oxide on the aluminum and get down to the real aluminum. Seems like I heard that all metal oxidizes because it is a reaction to the oxygen in the air but for some reason aluminum is really bad about it. That i guess is why you cant use regular primer because it will be sticking to the aluminum oxide instead of the aluminum itself and the aluminum oxide wont stand up to abuse. Sounds good anyway. Someone who really knows what their talking about will probably be along in a minute to correct me but thats the best answer I got for now.