Question regarding decks for fiberglass boat

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Outdoorsman

Reaction score
Ok, now I know the site is mainly for aluminum boats, but I found a trihaul fiberglass boat with trailer and has nothing inside of it. Its like its primed and ready for a deck conversion. But my concern is, drilling my supports into the bottom of the boat and anything on the sides. Is this possible, what precautions should I take? Here is a pic of the boat as it sits right now. Im not looking to put any big motor on it, maybe a 10-20 if I can come across the right one. Is this just a bad idea all together or is this a great find and opportunity for a project? [-o<

Also, he has title to trailer but not boat, possible that its expensive to title the boat? Worth it?

Attachments

• 16' boat.jpg
    16' boat.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 664
Awesome boat especially since I got one just like it...lol. I built a casting deck on mine, laid down a floor raised up about 2 inches. The floor is just laid down, not permanently mounted. Even trailering it at 65mph, the floor stays where it is put. The casting deck I did screw down and used some silicone to help keep water out of the holes. The boat is rated for a 25hp outboard. VERY VERY stable. I can stand at the outer side edge on my casting deck and try to get water in and it does not, and I am not a small guy weighing in about 275 lbs.

What price are they asking??

If you get a chance, could you do me a favor? I need to know weight capacity since my Coast Guard plate was painted over and not able to restore the info on it besides the HP rating and serial number.

In WI, you can get a title for the boat by providing a bill of sale. You would have to check your local DNR office to find out for your area.

Let me know if you get it.

Matt

After looking at the pic while zooming in on it. I might be cautious about the boat depending on price and how much work you want to stick into it. I noticed 2 things right away. The back corner closest to the camera, is tilted down a bit. Is the fiberglass still structurally sound there or all busted up on the inside of the boat? The other spot is on the back far side, it looks like a big crack on that shelf looking thing, which has foam in it. Is the foam waterlogged?

If I am right with what I seen without viewing it in person, I would only pay what is a fair price for the trailer and get the boat for free. That's me though and the way I buy stuff.

When I bought mine it was basically gutted like that one is. I had to repair one spot on a shelf type thing, foam was still good though. I do not remember exact price, yet I only paid someplace between $200-$300 for my boat and trailer. Your prices may vary in your area though since used prices are not the same everyplace in the Country.

Matt

Thanks for pointing those spots out, I have emailed the seller back in regards to those spots and if there is any other damage and asked for a straight behind and infront pic of the boat.

$150 for boat and trailer.

If the foam is waterlogged, would it be hard to replace and repair the fiberglass? [-o< I've worked with glass before but that was for speaker boxes in cars and things like that.

Im willing to put in the time on it, but dont want to break the pocketbook either in doing so.

Make sure you also look underneath the boat. Never know how many times a previous owner might have hit something with it, or beached it on shore.

That price is GREAT for a boat this stable. Even a trailer would cost ya $150 or more.

Have you checked into how to title it in your state? That would be my next main question before heading over to possibly buy it. Like I stated, in WI all that is needed is a bill of sale. So if your state is the same, then nothing to worry about on that aspect of the boat.

Matt

Havent had much time to check on the title issue, what i did find was just filling out some form and paying for the title fee and im good, but dont have the time to call (they suck with keeping you on hold forever :evil: ) since Im in the middle of an audit here at work this week. But Im sure a BOS and the form with payment and Im good. I'll post up with what I find out.

I think you could frame a deck in there without having to secure it to the floor at all. I'd just secure it up higher to the walls only. To me $150 for that is a steal. I think the boat is just crooked on the trailer and that's why the pics looks a little funny.

Nussy said:
I think you could frame a deck in there without having to secure it to the floor at all. I'd just secure it up higher to the walls only. To me $150 for that is a steal. I think the boat is just crooked on the trailer and that's why the pics looks a little funny.

Look at the two back corners. One is level like it should be, the other (closest one) is tilted down a bit. Nothing major as long as the fiberglass is not damaged around that area. As far as front deck, yep exactly like you mentioned. 3/4inch plywood will be sturdy enough and a few screws along the edges of that shelf type thing. Planning on redoing mine to make enclosed storage spaces.

I wish I could find a few of these for that price..lol.

Matt

Matt-Here is what I found out about on the title thing, here in Indiana there are a couple forms to fill out, you need a BOS, and the police dept needs to come out and inspect the boat and then you are good to go.

Nussy-I agree, 150 is a steal, not a fan of the green color but I think if I can scuff the gelcoat I can could primer and paint it, talked to Matt about it and seems like its feasible. Like I said, dont want to put too much money into it, just want it fishable. :wink:

Hey Matt, no I wasnt able to look at it, every time I tried to contact him it was one thing or another and beginning to feel like something is shady there. :(

Shady alright the primer is covering up somethin.
That boat wont be good in any kind of chop or waves either beacuse of the boew design

The Outdoorsman, Well hopefully the guy might just be a bit busy and you will end up eventually getting to take a look at the boat. Even if it might not be worth it after looking at it, at least you will know then. Sucks when having to try to talk them into letting you look at it though.

Heavyhead said:
That boat wont be good in any kind of chop or waves either beacuse of the boew design
Really? Personally I have been in lots of different boat hull designs. While the Trihull is a little more rough riding than a deep V boat, they are still very worthy of water travel. When comparing boats of equal length, I feel tons more safe in my Tuffy Trihull than I did with my 14 jon boat. I have been in some decent sized waves from high winds that pop up, and as long as you use your head when underway, the Trihull is just fine. Same goes for operating any boat, use your head to achieve best results. A lot is going to depend on where he plans on using the boat too. I highly doubt he will use it in the ocean where the waves can be really big. My guess is mostly inland lakes with smaller waves than what the ocean can have. Majority of the complaints regarding trihull boats usually originate from people who are navigating huge bodies of water, such as oceans and the great lakes.

I do wonder and have to ask... Have you ever been in one of these Tuffy boats? I never cared for fiberglass until I bought one and fished from it.

Matt

My thoughts on using the boat were for small bodies of water. And I wasnt going with the intention of putting a big size motor on it to haul butt across a lake, just something to get me from A-B without burning up the TM battery. Is your concern with whitecaps on a lake or something?

In my state of Texas you must have a title. If I could not get a title then I would not do anything to it. As for putting a deck in it. I work with fiberglass for a living. I would suggest that if your really wanting to put a deck in then I would grind the area's where the deck would touch the hull and then glass the deck in. You can cover the deck (both sides) with fiberglass and it would last a long time. I could give you plenty of suggestions, but it would take days to type out. Let me know if I can help.

Latest posts