Permanent Gas Tank vs Portable?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BloodStone

Reaction score
Hello all;
As some here know, Mr. procrastination here is in the S-L-O-W process :? of his run-about remodification. And I was debating about whether to use (2) 6 gal gas tanks on a 2 sliding drawer type system (due to the rear deck construction & the backwash panel) or go with a single 12 gal tank (I can get a complete set up for around $60.00 & it will fit pretty good)? I am leaning toward the latter. So all you owners of the bigger boats, which do you prefer & why? What are the pro's & cons of each system? Thanks!

I like a permanent tank for a multitude of reasons.

First, with the portable tanks, you are having to remove the tanks to fill them up. At almost 50 pounds a piece, this is a pain. Being able to fill the tank in the boat, through a dedicated (and easily accessible) fuel plug is much simpler.

Secondly, the single tank doesn't require swapping the hose out when a tank runs dry. I can say from experience that a tank will always run dry in a high current situation on the river, or right in the main channel, with 2' chop from all the other boats, on the lake, and having to constantly pay attention to the level of the first tank before swapping over is a pain.

The only reason I like removable tanks is in a boat that I can run electric only, as some lakes don't allow any form of fuel containers on the boat at all. However, that being said, in the future, I doubt I'll give myself the removable option, as it is so much of a pain the rest of the time. If I ever get back into electric only fishing (rather, if I ever have the time to get myself in another boat of any form), it will be a dedicated electric only rig.

Latest posts