source for replacement capacity tag

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Diesel Dan

Reaction score
After reading through Brines build last night I came to the conclusion that my boat is a rhyan craft not a river craft. The ID tag is mostly destroyed so I just made it out he best I could but when I saw a post that said they were built in Elderado AR. I was pretty sure I just read it wrong through all the scratches and missing parts. I was sort of disapointed to find out they went out of business in 1988. I was hoping to contact them for a replacement capacity tag. We do fish in the boonies but we still see a river patrol every now and then and I heard that they have begun checking for these tags pretty regular. My question is there a blank tag supplier I can buy one from and then stamp my own numbers on it? I know it isn't really the right way to do it but what else do you do? If the same size alumicraft I looked at @ Acadamy is any indication of what my HP rating should be then I am overpowered anyway. Not that I plan on changing my engine. So a blank tag or a custom made tag is what I need. Any ideas?

2 places:

start with manufacturer, or if another company bought them out, the newer company. If it was just closed out, then the second is a US Coast Guard station which should be able to make one for you, for a small fee.

Doing a search I found this on the Coast Guard Axillary Vessel Safety Check.

Question: I bought my 16ft. sabre craft with a 80hsp outboard. It does not have the capacity compliance plate on the boat, that says how many people and the motor rating. I want to be legal and I don't know where to go to get one.

Answer: It is suggested that you talk to a dealer/dealers that sold your make of boat to find out if they are still in business, or if that manufacturer was purchased by another company and that company might have the information needed.

Another means of locating information is to do a web search for the boat make and model in question. Sometimes there are owners, groups, or collectors on the web that might be a source of information. Further, if you might contact the Coast Guard Marine Safety Office (MSO) nearest to your home and get more information.

Also, if there is no capacity plate on a boat less than 20 feet, the following formula can be used to determine the maximum number of persons that can be safely carried in calm weather: Boat length multiplied by boat width divided by 15 (LxW/15) = Number people that can be safely carried in calm waters.

Eula May Sweet DVC VT
National V Department
USCG Auxiliary

Latest posts