Boat motor and battery question ?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fishingfreak

Reaction score
First of all I want to say that this is the most informative and useful site I have ever been on...thank to those who came up with it !!!!!!!!!!!!. I am looking to buy a 12' lowe 1257 or a Lund wc12 aluminum boat. I will be trolling for trout and salmon most of the time and some of the ponds have a 3 HP restriction. I own a 55lb thrust trolling motor and a 2.5 hp 4 stroke yamaha. Will these motors be enough to push these boats ?. The Lund is beefier but weighs more. I also have no clue as to what is the best battery for trolling all day.Thanks for any help and tight lines to all !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Welcome to tinboats! I primarily bass fish, so I can't give you too much advice on trolling, but I have owned a couple 55 pound trolling motors and they should do just fine with a 12 footer. I just bought a new one for my 17 footer, and I'm confident it'll be more than enough power.

As for batteries, I'd suggest a Cabela's AGM if you have a store near by. They're a little pricey, but they last years, require no maintenance, and have more power than the top of the line Optima batteries.

If you're on a budget, I've had good luck with Bass Pro brand deep cyles, and OK experiences with Walmart deep cycles. These do require you to keep the water levels up, and while many like the Walmart brand, I had one die within one season on me.

Switched to Cabela's AGMs and never looked back.

fishingfreak said:
I am looking to buy a 12' lowe 1257 or a Lund wc12 aluminum boat. I will be trolling for trout and salmon most of the time and some of the ponds have a 3 HP restriction.

You really can’t go wrong with either boat. However, there are a few things to look at that might sway the decision towards the Lund. I do own a WC16 but am not biased, just a good consumer.

1. The beam is 4” wider.
2. The rear seat(s) is more ergonomically correct for tiller driving/trolling
3. The split rear seat provides more floor room
4. The seats have wood tops as opposed to aluminum(won’t get as hot in the summer)
5. It has a 15hp rating as opposed to a 10hp like the Lowe. This leaves more options for power.

fishingfreak said:
I own a 55lb thrust trolling motor and a 2.5 hp 4 stroke yamaha. Will these motors be enough to push these boats ?

Yes, but it won’t push you fast. I imagine the 3hp restricted areas are small. You might be able to get away with just running electric only in those areas. If you’d want to step up to a bigger motor, I would get something 9.9hp or 15hp.

Your trolling motor is more than enough to push this boat. Being so light weight, I have a Minnkota Endura 30 that I use on electric only lakes. It pushes the WC16 just fine and can troll really slow as well. You will most likely find that the higher speeds won’t be needed.

fishingfreak said:
The Lund is beefier but weighs more. I also have no clue as to what is the best battery for trolling all day.Thanks for any help and tight lines to all !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just by the overall look of both boats, you are not comparing apples to apples. The Lowe 1257 is more similar to the Lund A12. The specs are more in line with each other. Given the choice between a 1257 and a WC12, I’d pick the Lund for the above reasons.

As for a trolling motor battery, I don’t know of any specific brands that are superior. However, with that battery purchase should be a purchase of an onboard battery charger/maintainer. If your boat isn’t on the water or the road, just leave it plugged in and the battery will always be topped off. This also increases the battery’s overall life because its constantly getting a trickle charge.

Hope this info helps in your decision. Please let us know what boat you end up with.

Welcome to TinBoats fishingfreak. Happy to have you aboard.

I can't add anything more to the two already excellent answers that have been given other than I agree with them both. :mrgreen:

You guys are the best !!!!. Thanks for the advice, I do realize I am comparing apples to oranges with the boats, its just that I already have the motors and I would like a boat for the trout ponds and if possible double duty in some salt water estuaries. I don't think the Lowe is up to the salt water but I didn't think the 2.5 and the 55 lb electric would push the Lund...there is where my question is. The Lund looks like a great boat but I could get by with the Lowe in fresh water...thanks again for your advice, I will post picks when I get them. I will post pics of my buddies boat as well......the sickest tin boat I have EVER been on !!!

fishingfreak said:
You guys are the best !!!!. Thanks for the advice, I do realize I am comparing apples to oranges with the boats, its just that I already have the motors and I would like a boat for the trout ponds and if possible double duty in some salt water estuaries. I don't think the Lowe is up to the salt water but I didn't think the 2.5 and the 55 lb electric would push the Lund...there is where my question is. The Lund looks like a great boat but I could get by with the Lowe in fresh water...thanks again for your advice, I will post picks when I get them. I will post pics of my buddies boat as well......the sickest tin boat I have EVER been on !!!

Ok, so I’m confused, are you saying you’re going with the Lowe or still undecided?

Realistically, those motors will push either boat probably equally as well/poorly. Given that the two boats are 77 pounds different, you really won’t notice it on the water. By the time you get either boat loaded with motors, battery(s), gear, fuel, and 2 guys, you’re looking at a payload around 600lbs. If the boats are 77lbs different, you’re asking the power source to push a boat either 728lbs or 805lbs. Either way, the 2.5hp won’t get them up on plane. Another thing to consider is how the boats sit in the water. Although the Lund may be heavier, if the hull is designed better than the Lowe, it could take less power to achieve the same speed and plane. It’s all in design and the numbers really don’t show much on these boats.

That being said, I’d go for the boat that will be most versatile for your application. If you’re looking to get into saltwater and want something a little more seaworthy, go with the Lund. Get something you will be happy with that won’t leave you wishing you had a different boat.

Sorry for the confusion....I specialize in confusing people..lol. I have not decided yet on which boat, I guess I want the more seaworthy Lund but I am afraid it is too much boat for the 2.5 HP and the 55lb trolling. I will use the boat mainly in ponds with a 3 hp restriction. The Lund would let me take it to some estuaries but I can not afford to buy another ( larger ) gas motor to push it. The Lowe would probably be more suited to the pond fishing. I am leaning towards the Lowe just so I can use the 2.5 HP. Again thanks and sorry for the confusion. Bob

Latest posts