braggin rights

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eastxbbqman

Reaction score
ok my bro n law is telling me how fast his 1648 grizzly tracker is blah, blah, blah. you know the drill. he has a 25 hp 4stroke. im telling him i can smoke him in my 1436 duracraft with a 2 stroke 18 hp merc. anyhow i dont know if i can smoke him or not, but you would think that i have a better power to weight ratio. anybody know any tricks to squeeze out some more top end so maybe i can shut him up. i keep telling him that old school rules, but it would be nice to show him.

Trim the motor out one more postion from the transom. Grab just the tip of the tiller handle and move your bodyweight as foreward as you can during the holeshot to hold the front end down (it will try to climb because of the motor position). Once on plane you can shift your bodyweight back.

Empty the boat of everything and only have 1 gallon of 92/93 octane gas (race gas if you have access) mixed at 50:1

If you have time, Steel flex the bottom of the hull.

change the prop

New plugs are a must!

Take a couple test runs with the motor in its new postion with whatever fuel you decide to run and practice the weight shift. I would make sure to get a gps and get proof of what setup is getting you the best speed.

Sounds like a lot to go through for a silly race but if you lose you will never live it down. And if you win the rewards and the "Bragging Rights" will be priceless!

Your right.....The power to weight difference seems like it gives you the advantage. BUT he does have 10hp on you. Is that enough to over come the weight and surface area of the 1448 grizzley???? Are you willing to take that chance?????

What kind of race are you going to do? drag race? Out and back? point to point?

Have someone record the race and post it on here.

I just read it again and saw that he has a 1648. That may give you a little more advantage.... Either way i wouldn't leave anything to chance....

I have a little competativeness problem... Especially with In-laws! I hope you kill him!

Why play somebody else's game? ](*,) #-o I say change the game.
Tell him its not who gets there first - knowing where to go and the fish you catch after you get there is what really counts. 8)

lbursell said:
Why play somebody else's game? ](*,) #-o I say change the game.
Tell him its not who gets there first - knowing where to go and the fish you catch after you get there is what really counts. 8)
I agree I would just go and out fish him.

The race has to happen, and it will happen whether i want it to or not. thanks for all the great advice. what kind of prop yall recommend? Last time I gps the speed it was around 24, but that was half a tank, two batteries, cooler, bait bucket, trolling motor, and all sorts of other gear. The pin was set on the third from the transom.

How much you want to spend for these "bragging rights"
I wouldn't mess around to much...get all the weight out you can for sure,try raising your outboard up a bit(different postion),maybe new plugs.
Just don't wreck a good running outboard for bragging rights,make sure it pumps good water and your at the right rpms(maybe alittle above :))
I think it will be close,real interested in the outcome.
I think you will take him in short distance,how far you going?

Yeah , im not gonna spend much. He actually has the boat i want. That old 1436 was free- leaking rivets, patched holes, real thin under the front, etc. Just gonna run it til I can find a welded boat. I dont mind putting money in the motor, but the boat wiil starve. The only way shes getting anything will be out of pure necessity.

You need to modify your outboard with a Turbo Encabulator. He won't even know what hit him. :beer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLDgQg6bq7o

Yeah, thats what Im betting on. He's heavier, his boats heavier, his outboard is heavier. Should be interesting.

I say draft him and then slingshot around him in the last 50yds lol Actually a video of this race going down would be cool to see. :wink: Just make sure he is holding the camera in his boat (little extra weight lol)

The Outdoorsman said:
I say draft him and then slingshot around him in the last 50yds lol Actually a video of this race going down would be cool to see. :wink: Just make sure he is holding the camera in his boat (little extra weight lol)
lol.I have an old vhs camcorder here,it can use a 6 volt motorcycle battery...that should add acouple pounds to him.

Lots of good advice given to you already; take care of the holeshot, the weight and the balance, and I'm confident you will beat him if your motor is healthy. :D

And yes, there are some races worth running.....

pointless to some as it may be, I hope you smoke him. I havent even got to crank my new 20hp 4 stroke yet but when I had the ol 69 merc 200/20 on my boat it would haul tail. I've been told that the 4stroke is not going to be as peppy but cant make any determination yet. When is the bbq man gonna pour on the smoke?

Latest posts