Tins with old motors

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lucescoflathead

Reaction score
I just got hooked on Old OMC outboards. I don't know how it happened,but it did. Anyone other than Pappy running an old outboard on their fishing boat. I just acquired a 1954 Evinrude Big Twin 25 hp with electric start.It needs a complete rebuild. I plan on running a tiller with remote controls on it. It's going to be my main motor on my 1468LW Polar Kraft " Miss Kitty " once I get it rebuilt.

Lets see some pictures of those old motors. Thanks Todd

Yesser, I sure am. I'm hooked too and I can tell you how it happens, well, how it happened for me anyhow. I was searching the world over for cheap reliable power when I came across a 1956 Johnson 10 horse for what I thought was a pretty good deal. It didnt run but was so simple to work on. This baby purrs like a kitten. Runs just like a new one and its 54 years old. It looks so cool as well. I check CL daily now, a couple times a day actually, in search of more of these gems for cheap. Gonna start hittin up some swap meets too in search of more of these. My QD 17 can be seen in my sig in the outboard project thread.

Pappy can be a lot of help. He help me get through a couple issues I couldnt figure out!!

I have a 1956 Merc 55E & 2 Martin 100's.The Martin's have to be resurrected but the Merc is as good as new.

Attachments

• tiller 027.jpg
    tiller 027.jpg
    166.4 KB · Views: 484
I have a 55 evinrude fastwin 15 hp, came with my boat. Its still a great running motor, starts first pull. If it was a short shaft and under 10 hp I would love to use it, but it does look cool on the stand in the garage.

Is a 63' 18hp johnson is old enough? It gives you a lot of pride when you pull the rope on a machine built 40 ,50,or 60 years old and it cranks to life in one or two pulls. It's a connection to our fathers and grandfathers generations, and a reminder that new is not neccesarily better.