Barnacles on Tracker Grizzly

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mosby

Reaction score
I recently purchased a used Tracker Grizzly 1754 boat with a 75 hp motor. The boat appears to have been left in salt water at one point, because there appears to have been some barnacles on the rear of the hull. There are circles on the hull. I power washed the area but it is not smooth to the touch. I realized the drag issue but will this damage the hull in anyway? Do I need to sand the hull? It is on a trailer and with the big engine and the weight of the boat I'm not sure how to tackle this other than lying underneath and trying to sand it etc, which would still leave the part resting on the bunks untouched. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

I've not had any exposure to salt water or it's effects so I can't tell you what it might/could do. I'm thinking though that you should be able to clean it with a buffer and or elbow grease. Try using a bathroom cleaner that removes calcium, but in a spot that isn't going to look bad if it discolors the aluminum.

Disclaimer: Like I said...I've not tried any of this. Only offering a thought.

Barnacles can be a real Bxxxxtch to remove. I'd bet you will have to sand them off or scrape them. I've removed them from the bottom of a fiberglass sailboat by scraping, but a slight raised area was always left. If the raised area(s) just barely catch your finger, then they probably won't affect your ride very much. More than that, time to get out the sandpaper or scraper. Rich

Up here we use a concentration of water and javex(chlorine bleach),let it set.
Probably still have to scrape but comes off easier.
This is used on fiberglass boats...the end of lobster season,not sure if bleach will effect an aluminum hull.There are aluminum
hulls up here ,just never had to clean one.

Are you sure they are barnacles?

Im pretty sure they were barnacles not positive though. It sorta feels pitted and on the sides in the rear they looked like sporadic brown circles, that arent real rough. It is rougher on the hull.

I had mussels on my 1648 and I had to sand the bottom down to get the residue off. Bleach, powerwashing, scrub brushes, and just about anything else won't work.

I've worked in the boat yard many times doing the bottom of fiberglass hulled boats with barnacles. Easiest way is to scrape them off and sand and repaint, otherwise the little colored circle will remain. Trust me it can suck. I've sanded and repainted a 65 foot boat with only a few others helping.

Latest posts