Where to paint? Garage?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kkrueger

Reaction score
I just got a Lowe 1436 and trailer that need to be painted badly. Once I get going I'll start a post for the whole project.

My question is... I plan to create a paint booth in the garage which is also our basement. Will the entire house wreak of paint fumes? Or... should I just paint outside where the pollen is about to be so thick my brown truck turns yellow for the next few weeks.

- Kevin

I feel your pain, Im up in Cherokee County and need to primer this week. My thoughts are that Im gonna go ahead with doing it outside since its supposed to rain the next couple of days which will hopefully keep the pollen knocked down and then I wont have to worry about overspray and the house having that freah paint smell.

If your garage is in the basement make sure you have some kind of fans or vents. Paint fumes and thinners will collect and you could have an explosion potential.

Leave the garage door open and put fans in the doorway facing out the garage door to help suck the fumes out of the garage.

You can always create a "paint booth" outside with an old tarp and old wood to build a frame around the boat, that would help protect from the pollen and keep you out of the basement/garage

The Outdoorsman said:
Leave the garage door open and put fans in the doorway facing out the garage door to help suck the fumes out of the garage.

and donnot run your air or furnace in your house if its off your air duct system.

You can always create a "paint booth" outside with an old tarp and old wood to build a frame around the boat, that would help protect from the pollen and keep you out of the basement/garage

X2, I would paint outside.

I painted my first build with rattle cans in the garage......it was a big mistake... I put a tarp down but....it got everywhere....Still have the red outline in the garage from where I tried to "clean" it up. I'd say paint it outside if you plan to spray it. #-o

The second build I rolled it on with foam rollers. That turned out much better.

Outside. Remember, safety first. I painted my G3 1232 outside and used spray cans. I'm completing my first mod and it looks great! This my first post and I would like to thank all the TinBoat members for their post which helped me.

Paint outside. Choose a nonwindy day, and be sure any prevailing winds are going AWAY FROM THE HOUSE AND CARS.

It can be tough to keep flying debris out of your paint though. You can get some cheap plastic on a roll and hang it from the ceiling in the garage and make a pretty legit paint booth for not much cash. The question is whether you think your paint job will be detailed and precise enough to actually show flaws from anything flying around outside.

Unless its a really glossy paint, and you're a pro at spraying, its unlikely you'll be able to tell the difference. I'd just do it outside.

Make sure your neighbor isn't enough of a jackass to mow his lawn for the first time in 3 weeks while you're out there painting. I'm still pissed about that :roll:

dyeguy1212 said:
Paint outside. Choose a nonwindy day, and be sure any prevailing winds are going AWAY FROM THE HOUSE AND CARS.

It can be tough to keep flying debris out of your paint though. You can get some cheap plastic on a roll and hang it from the ceiling in the garage and make a pretty legit paint booth for not much cash. The question is whether you think your paint job will be detailed and precise enough to actually show flaws from anything flying around outside.

Unless its a really glossy paint, and you're a pro at spraying, its unlikely you'll be able to tell the difference. I'd just do it outside.

Make sure your neighbor isn't enough of a jackass to mow his lawn for the first time in 3 weeks while you're out there painting. I'm still pissed about that :roll:

Dont get pissed about it, just consider it "custom flake" in your paint! lol :lol: