newbie sayin hi and a question

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Branp

Reaction score
Hey guys, great forum, and GREAT talent you folks have. I currently have a 14 foot mod v sea nymph with a 2 stroke 25 merc. I wish I had pics of before and after but I dont. I did the usual take out middle bench and added a floor and a few other mods. My mods are not even close to the level that you guys do. Ive seen so many boats I wish I had on this site! Anyway, the question....Im lookin at a new boat, a 08 grizzly tracker 1654sc. Still working out the final price but I think if its right im gonna snatch it up since their not making them anymore and hard to find in my area. Im not gonna be able to afford a motor right away but wanted some opinions on what to look for. Here in PA, most lakes are 9.9 or 20 hp only. I mainly fish rivers and want more hp. The boat is rated 60hp. Any opinions? Thanks guys. Any thoughts or expierience with tracker grizzlys would be cool to hear about too. Thanks.

One more thing, The place I would get the boat from always treats me like crap when I go in there cause I guess I dont look like "money." I really dont wanna give them my money but they are the only folks around who carry aluminum jons in the style I like. Any tips on dealing with lousy dealers? Ive only purchased from private sellers, never a dealer.

Welcome, thanks for joining!
The motor situation is tough, anything you buy short of the 60hp you will regret because you will always wish you had more. Are those restricted lakes small enough where you can get by with a trolling motor? There is also the possibility of adding a kicker motor just for those days.

One of the most important things about buying a boat in my opinion is having a good dealer. If the dealer treats you like crap buying the boat, imagine what it would be like going back for repairs and what not. I would find another dealer personally, even if it meant travelling a little longer.

Go somewhere else to get your boat! You will find a better deal from a private seller anyway.

Some have had service after the sale problems from Bass Pro but at least they treat you nice when your buying from them.

I agree with Jim...Go for the 60hp!

I you have to use a 9.9/20hp,thats just the way it is.
Look at the lakes you want to fish the most and look for the outboard that has the right hp.
Maybe get the 20hp and for the 9.9 lakes, a trolling motor will be good enough,if the lakes small.
If there was no restrictions I'd say go no lower then 75%of your max hp.
I think the 20hp should get you on plane,probably low 20's.

Welcome aboard! Now as for the dealer, I think the ball is in your court because you already have a boat. In our neck of the woods most of us would tell him where he could put his boat; IMHO dealers need to sell one worse than you need to buy one. Good Luck! :) 8)

i tried to buy a smokercraft a few months back. the only distributor sells yaghts and ski boats.the factory is 300 miles away.it took 3 weeks to get a salesman to return my calls after i stopped in and left him my number.he flat out didnt want to even bother with me .he told me he would order it but i had to go pick it up,because it was "only around $1800,and not worth them to have it shipped"i emailed the factory and asked whats up with their policy.i get a call from the salesmans manager, and he had a whole new attitude.needless to sayi told him i will never spend a dime at their outfit,only i wasnt so nice.

put the 60 on it. trolling motors can be bought for 100 bucks brand new , and alot less from craigslist.

Don't buy from that dealer , like somebody said already , if they treat you like crap while you are looking to buy it , how are they gonna treat you after they got you as a customer.

buy the boat at another dealer then stop in there with it on your way home from picking it up and get a drain plug or a spark plug or something small like that to show them that they screwed up :twisted:

Thanks for the replies. I decided to pass on the boat. Besides the dealer being a pain, the price was just too high for what it was. I couldnt understand how a boat thats been sitting outside in a boat yard for three years can still be considered "brand new" just cause it never had an owner. Anyway I left there vowing never to return. On the flip side, im going to check out a triton ambush 16 this weekend from a private seller. Ill keep ya posted.

Latest posts