First Project

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stroth

Reaction score
Lots of great information on this board. I have been reading through allot of posts as I recently just bought my first (well actually it is my third, but this one I WILL finish) project boat.

Boat1-1.jpg

Based on what I found on fiberglassics, I think it is 1967 Aerocraft, but I am not sure. It looks like there are two models it could possibly be, a P12 or a Z12. According to what is posted on fiberglassics the P12 can handle a much bigger motor. Anyone out there know how I can tell the two apart or does it even matter?

Here is another pic:

Boat2.jpg

Along the rivet seams there is something like caulk applied over them. I asked the owner and he said the prior owner put 'something you use for gutters' over the rivet seams. The stuff feels like caulk, it has a rubbery kind of texture to it, but honestly I am not really sure what it is.

As you can see it also has a homemade motor bracket bolted on. This is a dumb question, but honestly one I have thought about for awhile. Are most jon boats or little v hulls like this set up with the rear seat on the right, so you steer the tiller with your left hand? Just seems to me like you would want the seat on the left side of the boat and steer the tiller with your right? Am I missing something very obvious here? I am also not sure I get the advantage of the motor bracket. The previous owner told me it worked great and he pushed the boat well with a little 6 HP evinrude (I got the motor too with the deal, but it needs a fuel pump).

So, where do I start? What do you guys think? I do not want anything too ornate or involved.

I am primarily going to use this boat by myself or with my four year old son. I do want to put a casting deck on the front, and possibly put in a floor, but I do not want to make it unstable or too high for my son. Whatever deck I put on, I'll need to be able to get it off.

I am guessing I should dip the thing in the water to see if I have any leaks anywhere? I am up in MA and with temps down in the 20's and snow forecast for friday our spring has really not yet sprung. Ice has not even left a few areas I am dying to fish.

Any help or insight anyone can give is greatly appreciated. I'll do my best to post some pictures of my progress.

THANKS,

Stroth

Sounds like the previous owner put some sort of silicone caulk on the rivets. As far as the motor bracket....It may have been for a kicker motor? trolling for walleye? Many possibilities with that boat, good luck and have fun.

:WELCOME: Stroth!

Another Mass Guy! :beer:

Great looking boat you have there. You will be fishing with your son, so take decks out of the equation in my opinion. You want the little guy low in the boat. What I would do is put a simple removable level floor in front of each bench. This way you can stand comfortably. If you really want to get creative, add small pedestal seats to each bench(rear and middle). If you really want a deck of some sort, I would make a small one from the front to the middle bench, but personally I would just leave it.

Where in Mass are you from? If you don't mind, update your profile with Town and state.....

From the pictures it looks like south shore/cape area? :D

Thanks for the replies.

I am in Hopkinton, MA

Got very busy lately and have not had time to work on this boat much.

However, I did get a chance to take it out yesterday. It moved pretty well with a 55 lb thrust transom mounted trolling motor on there.

I do need to add a rear seat. It was pretty uncomfortable for me sitting that low.

Here is my dumb question:

How do I attach the base to the seat? I am thinking that I would get an adjustable height pedestal, add a swivel and a cheap seat. The way the boat is built I cannot get underneath the seats. I also believe there is flotation in there.

I did some searches and found a couple of methods others used:

-Just screw it in, this worries me as I am a big guy 6'3 260 or so and I worry that it won't be strong enough.

-Toggle bolts, this seems easy, but I also worry about how strong it would be.

-Cut an access panel into the seat and bolt it on through there. This seems like a good deal of work and I am worried about losing strength of the seat.

What do you guys think, what is the best and easiest method to use?

THANKS MUCH

They make a deal that clamps on I think there like $20 at Fleet-n-farm or a that type of store. Also Gander Mountain/Cabelas should have them.

S-M-1104010_med.jpg

I have read allot of posts that says those types of seats tend to fall off easily.

I also want to raise the height of the seat a bit, 6 to 12 ".

My latest thought is that I could run 3/4" plywood the length of the seat. I would recess in some bolts that would fit the pedestal base and then screw the plywood into the bench with stainless screws. I could also double the plywood where the base of the seat is, but I am not sure how much extra strength it would give me.

What do you all think?

Matt

Latest posts