WEIGHT DISTRUBATION Vs planeing

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clarego

Reaction score
seanympth Sears model number 61352s 1989 V 12'. question here folks my boat originally has a mount on the front drivers side for a trolling motor(30# thrust). i took it out saturday and notice a little problem it was me and my bro. my bro weighs 160 soaken wet im 270 he was in the front controlling the trolling motor, i was in the rear with battery. should i stick the battery in the front or middle and the trolling motor in the back ? he was having a difficult time moving us,. how it was setup, also i have to reverse the motor so the controls face the right way if i keep it there but me and bro are having a disagreement here he keeps saying about planeing i more about safety and weight, Help lol

shes moving fine i just want to get the best speed and safety he was having trouble because the trolling motor ais mounted backwards the controls should be facing me not the water if you guys know what i mean

btw im all new to this

A 30# trolling motor does not have nearly enough power to get your boat on a plane... it won't matter where you put it.

If it is a bow mount trolling motor (has a big bracket that folds), mount it to the bow. If it is a transom mount trolling motor (just a motor, clamp, shaft and handle), mount it to the transom. Put the battery wherever in the boat makes it float most level with the occupants in it.

SOME (not all) trolling motors just have a bolt through the bottom side of the control housing. take the bolt out and turn the control housing 180 degrees and put the bolt back in , then you have a bow mount trolling motor instead of a transom mount.

I'd like to see a trolling motor that can get a tin up on plane. :mrgreen:

Sorry...couldn't help myself.

Advise offered so far is correct. Move the weight around until you have the boat comfortable to fish in and as level as you can when trolling. If the front deck is sitting too high....then you're going to be standing at more of an angle all day and not nearly as comfortable as you could if you shift some weight to the front to level the boat out more.

Make sense?

Latest posts