Boat security

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dyeguy1212

Reaction score
What do you guys use to keep your gear safe at night, while you're parked and away from the boat, etc?

My boat has locks on the two compartments I'm worried about, but with well over a grand in tackle I'd rather be safe than sorry.

I was thinking about buying an extendable cargo bar, and pinning it to each inside wall of the boat over my rodlocker and main tackle compartment. Then I could drill a hole once extended, and throw a padlock on it. That way any thief will have to smash that thing out with a hammer, and then worry about breaking my locks :lol:

https://www.harborfreight.com/automotive-motorcycle/cargo/ratcheting-cargo-bar-96811.html

Anyone have any other tips? I'm looking to keep it cheap and simple.

That thing will be easier to remove than you realize. I have a similiar setup for a bike rack in my truck bed and can snatch it out by hand. Granted thats with a drop in bedliner, but even with a bit better grip, a few good tugs, a hammer, or a small amount of prying will probably get that bar out.

Well my plan was to put it under the big lip of the gunnel, with the bar flush against the deck. I thought about popping a couple rivets through the hull so that the bar can't move from side to side without being retracted.

Not necessarily looking to make it bomb proof, but atleast deter people in parking lots, or to give me a chance to grab my gun if someone is stupid enough to mess with it in my driveway.

I may overly paranoid but I do not leave any items in my boat when I park it. I have my motor clamp screws locked down with a piece of square steel tubing. I also have a security cable locked around the foot of the motor connected to the trailer. If they really wanted it they could just cut the clamp screws on the motor and cut the cable to take it. My trailer has two ball hitch locks on it when I park it. When it is hooked up to my truck I have a padlock installed on the hitch.

As for the gear, I do not load it until the morning I am going out in it. I unload it as soon as I get back home. My anchors have quick disconnects on the end of the ropes for ease of disconnecting. My fish finder is mounted on a removable mount so that I can remove it with ease also.

It's unfortunate that there are people who will steal anything they can get their hands on, but it's the nature of the world. Probably the best method is to do as Kmixxon does above, is too remove everything possible, and have some type of locking device on items that are too cumbersome to physically remove. The bad thing is that if a thief wants something, they'll find a way to get it.

I took everything out all of last year, almost on a daily basis. If I have to do that again, I'll impale myself with one of the rods and they'll be free to take :roll:

Luckily I live in a pretty rural area, so I don't have to worry about it too much. But if I'm in a store or out to eat before/after a day of fishing, I'd like to have the peace of mind that someone will really have to work to get at my stuff. Same goes for when it's at home. If they have to work for it, there's a better chance of someone seeing it, my dog hearing it, or me getting a crack at them..

dyeguy1212 said:
...But if I'm in a store or out to eat before/after a day of fishing, I'd like to have the peace of mind that someone will really have to work to get at my stuff...

That happened to a friend of mine a few years ago. He and his son stopped to eat, and when they came out his batteries and anchor had been stolen. His rods and tackle bag were just laying inside the boat, and none of that was taken. The thieves cut the battery cables and anchor line, and hauled a$$.

Waterwings said:
It's unfortunate that there are people who will steal anything they can get their hands on, but it's the nature of the world. Probably the best method is to do as Kmixxon does above, is too remove everything possible, and have some type of locking device on items that are too cumbersome to physically remove. The bad thing is that if a thief wants something, they'll find a way to get it.

Agreed.

For my set up, I have locks on both the trolling motor and the outboard. I also installed cam locks on both hatches. Would I trust them completely...No. However, they do keep the honest honest. Like said above, if the theives really want it, they'll get it.

I still clear the boat at the end of the day and park it as close to the truck as possible.

Probably the best security measure is the piece of mind that you have a good insurance policy. I go through State Farm and my boat is covered for an agreed value. My gear is covered through a different policy. When it's all said and done, I pay about $68 a year to know that if anything happens to my boat, it will be covered.

Seems to me that a LOUD alarm system would deter the casual thief more than a big lock that they can cut in seconds... I'd make up a couple of

PROTECTED BY AN ALARM SYSTEM

signs ....if they crooks can read, that is... rich

https://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=fishing+boat+alarm+system&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=13650461430295642623&sa=X&ei=q5-YTf_VLo270QHpm4z3Cw&ved=0CCoQ8wIwAg#

Trailer Sentry Anti-Theft Sys

https://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Loc-R-Bar_Middle_Compartment_Adapter/descpage-LRBTA.html

This might be a cool thing to add to my rig job, as I have my lifejackets in an adjacent compartment.

All locks do is keep honest people honest, A true thief is gonna get what he wants no matter what you do. I simplified mine and just paid for Insurance.. :mrgreen:

i think with the cargo bar would be to easy to get around a good hammer swings right in the middle should bend that pipe and then you just move it outa the way what about these?? https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_357023_357023

bailey86 said:
i think with the cargo bar would be to easy to get around a good hammer swings right in the middle should bend that pipe and then you just move it outa the way what about these?? https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_357023_357023

We can poke holes in these ideas all day long. Those locks could easily be broken with a hammer or crowbar :roll:

If someone wants it they will take it if it's possible. If I'm at home as much of a pain in the butt as it can be everything comes out of the boat and into the basement or the garage because I can't afford to replace it if some loser decides to steal it. If I'm camping some where I always make sure the tent is between the boat and the road and I lock up electronics and stuff in the truck. Probably the best advise is to have some stickers made up saying the boat and trailer are armed with an alarm system with a GPS tracking device that may make a difference. Locks really only keep the honest people out.

i just rely on insurance.last aug. a theif broke into my truck at a howard johnson.i had parked it RIGHT OUTSIDE the office with my boat,motor,fishing gear,camping gear,a cooler FULL of beer sitting in the box,a $600 camera on the floor. some jackass popped my doorlock with a screwdriver and all they took was my k-bar and my cell phone.

I put all my gear in my truck box when I'm not on the water (that includes trailering). Boat is stored in the garage when not in use.
If I stop, I try to park where I can keep an eye on everything, but a thief is a thief and if they see a chance to take something, they will try.

Latest posts