Would this be a good first boat?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryno409

Reaction score
Hey everyone,
My friend and I have been looking at boats for over a year, and instead of spending too much money on a new one, we've decided to buy a used boat and make some mods to it. I have seen numerous boats on here where members have turned ordinary used boats into something I would be proud to fish from. My question to the esteemed forum is, do you feel the attached boat is something I should buy and try to mod. It's fairly cheap, and I have a 4 horse evinrude I plan to power it with. Thanks so much!

Attachments

• pic1.jpg
    pic1.jpg
    8.6 KB · Views: 1,049
  • pic2.jpg
    pic2.jpg
    8.3 KB · Views: 1,049
Good looking boat. Is that a 16' starcarft? I'd buy it in a heartbeat if the price is right. Your 4hp will be fine for trolling but won't move very fast.. Let us know how the build goes!

It's a 1977 Mirro Craft Mister Musky. Got the boat and trailer today for $600. Let the mods begin!

Ryno409 said:
It's a 1977 Mirro Craft Mister Musky. Got the boat and trailer today for $600. Let the mods begin!

WOW...that's awesome. Congrats. Now we want more pictures and info. First question....what's powering it?

I have the 4 hp evinrude I can use. We were thinking of just getting a trolling motor though, since most of our fishing will be on above ground reservoirs, with the largest being 600 acres. Then we wouldn't have to worry about gas and oil for now. If we go the trolling motor route, should we mount it bow or transom? Thanks!

Ryno409 said:
I have the 4 hp evinrude I can use. We were thinking of just getting a trolling motor though, since most of our fishing will be on above ground reservoirs, with the largest being 600 acres. Then we wouldn't have to worry about gas and oil for now. If we go the trolling motor route, should we mount it bow or transom? Thanks!

Go bow mount its much easier to fish with and it leaves the transom open for your gas motor.

Its better to have a transom, if it is the solo motor, can be hard to load, this boat maybe not, without a motor at the rear.

Ryno409 said:

That little gas motor isn't that much to haul and would be able to get you back to the dock in case the battery dies on you. Not that I've ever had that happen. :oops:

That's a nice looking rig. I have a similar layout. You'll enjoy the open floor space in the two seat configuration you have. The existing covered bow is excellent storage space for life vests, tackle and other gear. Good luck.

Finally got her home tonight! Should I start with the floor first? What else does everyone recommend! Thanks again!

Attachments

• P4081126.JPG
    P4081126.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 263
  • P4081125.JPG
    P4081125.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 263
Ryno409 said:
Finally got her home tonight! Should I start with the floor first? What else does everyone recommend! Thanks again!
i would say no. take it fishing and enjoy it as is for a couple days... make sure there are no leaks, see how stable it is standing up in it, etc. get a feel for how you are actually going to use the boat, not just how you think you would. then cut it up and make it your own.

That boat truly is a beauty. I had one like it once and wish i wouldn't have gotten rid of it. When i had it i completely gutted the inside but it was shot. I put a whole new floor in mine and carpeted it. I also carpeted the sides of the inside. That wouldn't be too much work at all. the hardest part is cutting wood to the proper size. Not too tough though. if the floor is bad I'd just make some floor braces and throw some 3/4 ply down. I'd also use the 4 hp motor. Won't be fast but will be a fishing machine. congrats on a great boat. =D>

Latest posts