Carpet glue?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I put spar urethane on my plywood and had trouble finding something that would stick to it.

I 1st tried the Henry's Premium Outdoor Carpet Adhesive...would not stick.

Then I tried contact cement...would not stick.

I finally tried the 3m High Strength Spray Adhesive....that crap sticks!!!

It took me 2 cans to do my boat.

Attachments

• 10.JPG
    10.JPG
    120.3 KB · Views: 1,541
  • 7.JPG
    7.JPG
    126.5 KB · Views: 1,541
  • 6.JPG
    6.JPG
    114.9 KB · Views: 1,541
I didn't think about carpet adhesive not sticking to urethane; I was going to pickup the carpet glue tonight. Thanks for the tip on the 3M product.

Use contact cement, it sticks to anything! Thats what I used on my boat:

392281944.jpg

392036313.jpg

2011-03-20170014-1.jpg

What kind of contact cement did you use Dixie?

I tried this stuff from Lowe's, and it would not stick.

Attachments

• cement.jpg
    cement.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 1,497
I used the Henry's indoor/outdoor glue from Lowe's when I glued my carpet to painted metal decks. Whatever you use, make sure you have some good ventilation. The vapors from some of that stuff will knock you down! :shock:

+10000 on what WW say's.

I put my carpeting on in the garage and that spray adhesive is some strong stuff! I'm sure I killed several brain cells during the application.

I used the polyurethane construction adhesive from Home Depot, it is water proof, was about 9.00 a tube, very comparable to carpet glue price wise. I basically squirt it on and used a toothed squeegee to spread it evenly.

I tried the 3m spray, contact cement, and henris outdoor carpet glue. Like the carpet glue the best, contact cement 2nd, spray last personally.

Nope, I put a coat on the plywood and the carpet both. Let them dry for about 45sec-1min and stuck them together. Rolled them with a rolling pin and put some weight on it. Came back out the next morning after about 10hrs of drying and it just peeled right back up.

With the spray, I sprayed both sides. Let them dry for about 30sec and then stuck them together. Rolled them with the pin, and about 15mins later I could not pull it apart.

Latest posts