Underpowered?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
no. if it is a good running 15hp. and the boat isnt super weighted down.

I have a 1448 flat bottom with a '76 Johnson 9.9 with a 15hp carb.

Last year before I put the floor in and added a trolling motor I could hit 24mph.

This year I put down 1/2" plywood and added a trolling motor and I hit 21mph.

should the motor be raised up a little from the current position? I think the cavitation plate is about two or three inches below the bottom of the transom, probably closer to two. i have read somewhere that it makes a difference with speed and planing.

Attachments

• IMG-20110312-00048.jpg
    IMG-20110312-00048.jpg
    219.3 KB · Views: 1,126
MY PERSONAL boat has a 20 inch motor shaft on a 15 inch transom and works ok. Some may argue but I am just stating my personal set up. I would check the trim.

When I get the chance I'll see what I can do but any plans for mods has been put on hold until i finish this semester and get a little more money in my pocket (and time). But last I looked (dont have a picture) the motor is clamped on, not drilled, but I dont think there is much room for me to raise the motor with the clamps being attached to much of the transom. Should I look into getting a jack plate?

cmatthews_jm said:
Simple question, is a 1448 mod v jon underpowered with a 15hp 2stroke?

Yes, you are underpowered, rule of thumb is 75% of the max horsepower. A 1448 should be rated for a 25, you'd want at least a 18.

With 2 people you might have to play with the trim settings but you should be able to.

With 1 person you will most definitely be able get on plane.

Have a passenger set close to the middle will help get on plane, do not sit 2 people at the back when starting off. Check various setting areas to see which way is best.

well I think to get the boat up on plane would take several things, including the previous suggestions. First order of business would be to replace the gas line/ball and clean the carburetor. Then, once the motor is running, take it out to a lake and run it for a bit. Thirdly, this boat is severely imbalanced, (ie. the battery needs to be replaced and moved to the front of the bench seat in front of the motor or at least somewhere else and the gas tank probably needs to be moved as well). The trolling motor battery probably needs to be moved too since it weighs about 70lbs or so. There is just a lot of weight in the back end but it does help that the boat is stick steer from the center. Any suggestions with all that said?

Attachments

• IMG-20110307-00031.jpg
    IMG-20110307-00031.jpg
    467.3 KB · Views: 626
cmatthews_jm said:
well I think to get the boat up on plane would take several things, including the previous suggestions. First order of business would be to replace the gas line/ball and clean the carburetor. Then, once the motor is running, take it out to a lake and run it for a bit. Thirdly, this boat is severely imbalanced, (ie. the battery needs to be replaced and moved to the front of the bench seat in front of the motor or at least somewhere else and the gas tank probably needs to be moved as well). The trolling motor battery probably needs to be moved too since it weighs about 70lbs or so. There is just a lot of weight in the back end but it does help that the boat is stick steer from the center. Any suggestions with all that said?
that's a really cool setup with the stick steering. it must be a lot of fun to pilot that boat. i don't see the starting battery, where is it?

it sounds like you have a solid plan... carb rebuild kits are pretty cheap, you might as well just put in new replacement parts while you have it disassembled for cleaning.

acabtp said:
that's a really cool setup with the stick steering. it must be a lot of fun to pilot that boat. i don't see the starting battery, where is it?
The battery is behind the rear bench seat, sorry I didn't post that picture earlier.

Attachments

• IMG-20110307-00032.jpg
    IMG-20110307-00032.jpg
    516.9 KB · Views: 600

Latest posts