Mini-Jacker

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BaitCaster

Reaction score
Thinking about getting one for my boat, mainly to move the motor shaft out of the way of the side scan transducer for my Humminbird.

Without a jack plate is looks like my motor is going to block the signal to the port side of the boat.

Photo2.jpg

Anybody use one? Thoughts? Opinions?

I never thought about that with side scan. Seems like if it were an issue, there would be a lot of people complaining about it, and/or humminbird warning people.

I'd at least give it a try before I dropped the money on one..

dyeguy1212 said:
I never thought about that with side scan. Seems like if it were an issue, there would be a lot of people complaining about it, and/or humminbird warning people.

It is something that Humminbird mentions in the transducer installation instructions and others have run into problems. I can always just trim my motor up when scanning, but I it's a pain reaching back over the transom and changing the trim (power trim would be nice!). I'm going to try it out before making any decisions.

BaitCaster said:
dyeguy1212 said:

It is something that Humminbird mentions in the transducer installation instructions and others have run into problems. I can always just trim my motor up when scanning, but I it's a pain reaching back over the transom and changing the trim (power trim would be nice!). I'm going to try it out before making any decisions.

Can't believe I've never read anything about that.. I've been reading up on SI and DI a lot the past couple weeks. Guess I never got as far as reading installation instructions though.

yes, it still has a cone. it doesn't shoot directly out the side straight. It has to angles to see the visuals on the bottom, I am 99% certain. But from experience, we have never ever had a issue with the motor obstructing it.

My side scan transducer is mounted about in the same place as yours....however, my motor is a jet and doesn't stick down as far under the bottom of the boat. Mine works fine. My motor is also big and hangs farther over the back of the boat. Never thought about having a prop motor. That would create more of a problem.

You are correct about Humminbird mentioning the issue in the instruction manual too.....However, I would try it too before I spent the money.

Also....when setting up your preferences......go into the user mode and set it to "Advanced". There are a lot more features that I think are important to know about. They only show up in the "advanced" mode.

So it does shoot sideways. but at the same time shoots down. Kinda wierd how it is done really.

https://www.humminbird.com/SonarContentWireFrame.aspx?Pageid=2664&id=2868

Thanks for the input fellas. I'm going to have to try it out before I drill any more holes in my boat!

Hoping to get down on the river this weekend.

So...which unit did you get?

I got the 798ci HD SI Combo for the back of the boat and 597ci HD DI Combo for the front. I like them pretty much so far. Although I've only had it on the water once......heading out again this weekend for a 2 day tournament and hoping they help put me on the fish.

fender66 said:
So...which unit did you get?

I got the 798ci HD SI Combo for the back of the boat and 597ci HD DI Combo for the front. I like them pretty much so far. Although I've only had it on the water once......heading out again this weekend for a 2 day tournament and hoping they help put me on the fish.

I have the 798 too.

I think you're going to like it. Seems to be a great unit so far. Will take a while to learn it ALL to our advantages though. I have a ways to go yet.

fender66 said:
I think you're going to like it. Seems to be a great unit so far. Will take a while to learn it ALL to our advantages though. I have a ways to go yet.

Yeah, I've been playing with it in simulation mode all winter (got it for Christmas). Can't wait to "go live"!

I fish off a 798 Side imager, not sure of the hd di what not, lol.. It does down and side. I generally use it normal 2d.. :) I am glad i didnt buy it. It is actually on Antmunch's boat. I have never been a big fan of HB, always used eagles/lowrance, and is likely what i will be buying for this new boat.

BC,

Measure from the transom to the back edge of the transducer, then from the transom to the front edge of your motor. If the distance to the front of the motor is equal or more, you shouldn't have any problems. Make sure you have the trim set where you would normally run it. Also, remember that the side scan only works at slower speeds, so if you're trolling along, you might have a bit more leeway in your trim adjustment. A square makes it easier to get the measurements.

I have an 898 on my tin, and my motor is about 1/2" forward of the end of my td. Granted, this is a different style of td from yours, but my side scan shows no obstruction at all. It is my understanding that the scan is generated more or less from the direct middle of the td, front to back.

Hope this helps,
Skidz

I just installed my Hummingbird and transducer, almost identically to yours and with the same motor length and when I water tested it I could not notice the motor at all while trolling.

I have been finding a problem with the depth readings I'm getting with this unit. They worked fine the first time I took it out, but have not since. They are jumping around a lot and not matching my other unit. There is a software update that you can download that is supposed to fix some of this problem. You should be running version 5.470. You will see the version on your unit when you fire it up. There are a couple other things that you can change in the settings. I'll not get into those until I see if they all work. I just got off the phone with support for the second time this week. They have been very nice, and sounds like they are very willing to send me a different transducer but my transducer is on back order until the 15th. If you have any specific questions....PM me and I'll try to explain what I've learned so far.

fender66 said:
I have been finding a problem with the depth readings I'm getting with this unit. They worked fine the first time I took it out, but have not since. They are jumping around a lot and not matching my other unit. There is a software update that you can download that is supposed to fix some of this problem. You should be running version 5.470. You will see the version on your unit when you fire it up. There are a couple other things that you can change in the settings. I'll not get into those until I see if they all work. I just got off the phone with support for the second time this week. They have been very nice, and sounds like they are very willing to send me a different transducer but my transducer is on back order until the 15th. If you have any specific questions....PM me and I'll try to explain what I've learned so far.

Thanks for that.