18 foot aluminum boat

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fish2keel

Reaction score
hey guys,

Im looking at a 18x54 flat bottom jon boat and am trying to figure out what outboard to put on the back end. I do not see a plate on the boat so I can't go off that.

I usually will use this boat for fishing the rivers here in florida and in mississippi and sometimes do a little duck hunting in it but mostly fishing. It will usually just consist of me along with sometimes one other person.

I know without knowing the weight and everything of the boat we can't be specific on the size of the outboard but a good estimate would be good. Im looking to get it pretty fast doesn't have to be a speed demon cause jon boats aren't made for this but don't want to have any lack of power.

I found a 1998 50 hp force which seems nice since its light and has good horse power and also a 1994 55 hp yamaha enduro.

I have been trying to find people with similar outboards or boats and can't find much.

Thanks in advance for any advice for the size outboard for this boat.

F2k

Depending on where you live (which state) there are different laws. In Missouri, there aren't any power restrictions. Illinois does have them (so I'm told). I would imagine that with a jon that big, you could easily go with at least a 150HP. I'm running a 1756 and push about 160HP (in the form of a jet...engine with prop would be 225HP) on mine. I know it's overkill, but the price for the package was a great deal that I couldn't pass up.

Here's a chart that I found that might help:

https://edocket.access.gpo.gov/cfr_20...3cfr183.53.pdf

I've also loaded a pdf that might be more help.

Attachments

• SafetyStandardforBackyardBoatBuilders.pdf
    175 KB · Views: 73
Is it riveted or welded? What is the transom height?

I know the plate is missing but do you know the manufacturer of the boat?

I would look at similar size models from a couple diff. manufacturers and see what the max recommended is from them and use that as a guide.

The riveted lowe 1852 has a max hp of 45hp tiller, and 65hp with remote
https://www.loweboats.com/showroom/riveted-jon/lowe-jon/l1852mt.php

The welded lowe 1860 has a max of 60hp
https://www.loweboats.com/showroom/welded-jon/roughneck-jon/r1860.php

I would go with nothing smaller than a 50hp?

A 150 hp wow thats crazy!

And I live in florida and hunt and fish the rivers here and also in the delta of mississippi when I go home.

It's riveted not welded and has a reinforced transom. It has a 20 inch transom also.

The motors are remote but I would prefer to convert it to a tiller. I know it can be expensive and time consuming to put the parts together but I don't mind since Im getting a good deal on the engines and do not want a brand spanking new engine to hunt the rivers and tiber of the delta.

So no less than 50 hp? Why is there a difference in horsepower from tiller to remote?

Thanks guys for your help

Ive been following the grizzly guide for now since there bench 18 foot grizzly is what it looks like except it has a squared bow not a v.

merc makes the big tiller . you can put a tiller on a 250 if you wanna. heard there was one on a 300 . saw the tiller at metten marine in oshkosh like power steering on a stick
' you tube has video if you're intrested

I was reading somewere about the fact installed console, cant remember were, I assume it strengthens the boat when welded in etc, as does the floor and what not, they cant rate it higher as it leaves the factory bare or what not. does it have a wood transom? My fisher is 100% aluminum. and has some beefy gussets welded into the sides off the foam pods as well.. I am shopping for a big motor now. I think a 40-50 will suit me fine, should run mid 30's id think.

I think with a console you are moving more weight forward..not all right in the stern.
My boats rated 35 tiller,60 console...same boat,nothing really changes if console goes in.
Some where on this site theres a graph(formula) that will give a real close estimate of what hp you should be using.
I see if I can find it.

Bugpac,
Its aluminum transom just like what your describing on yours.

A lot of places i've seen have been saying 65 remote/45 tiller. I guess thats what I need to stick around. I don't see why a 55 hp yamaha enduro remote converted to tiller would be bad or the extra light 50 hp force would be that bad. Not maxed out but should be fairly good speed right?

Thanks guys for all your helps!