When covering a gas tank, you might need a fire extingusher.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rusty.hook

Reaction score
I have noticed all the new mods going on here, all looking great. There is one thing I need to suggest to yall, and that is, if you put a door over your gas tank in the back or anywhere else in the boat, you might want to check with your state fish and game folks about having to have a FIRE EXTINGUISHER ON BOARD. In Texas if the tank is covered, you must have a FIRE EXTINGUISHER ON BOARD or get a ticket. So check the regulations before you cover the gas tank. When I buy a boat if it does not have one, I buy one asap, because you never know when you might have to have it, better to be safe than sorry.

PA if you have gas on board you need one. Im pretty sure. Common sense to me.

Your right about common sense, but a lot of these guys just want to get her built and in the water and don't stop and think about the regulations. They are first time boat owners and just want to fish. Just trying to help before some get the ol ticket.

I actually carry two extinguishers. One fore and the other aft. Never know which end I'll be fishing from and Murphys Law likes to play dirty tricks sometimes lol.

jbakerinc said:
PA if you have gas on board you need one. Im pretty sure. Common sense to me.

In PA I just looked on their web site for boating regulations. You only need an extinguisher if you have one of the following

carry passengers for hire
have the fuel tank covered by a hatch or under a closed seat
have compartments where flamabe material may be stored
operate a boat that has a gap between the hull and floor but this is only if the boat came that way from the company
(If you built the floor and put it in yourself then you are ok. )

I would read the rules on your states fish and boat website or in their safety booklet for yourself before making any modifications though. It is common sense though to carry an extinguisher on board because there is no where to run except overboard when you are out on the water.

I posted this little tid bit of info because I saw where some of the "moders" were real young and maybe not a lot of boating experience and not a lot of knowledge of their states and Coast Guard's boating regulations. Just trying to educate the young before something bad happens.
Hey, all of us "OL GOATS" should know better by now, jus' sayin'

i learned the hard way that a fire extinguisher is a necessity if you have a motor. some how some fuel or vapors ignited inside the cover of the outboard. i was in shock for a couple seconds and i quickly ripped the fire extinguisher out of the boat and prayed like hell that it would work (came with the boat and never even thought to look at it) im glad it worked , if it didnt i was prepared to go swimming.
i still never figured out how it caught fire but you could tell it was just vapors burning, nothing was damaged at all, but it was embarrassing with the other boaters watching this

Good reminder to everyone. A cover gas tank and connected to the battery compartment is also a bad idea unless it is vented really well. If you've got gas on board then have an extinguisher. If you've never used one of the small ones, they don't last more than 20 seconds, so aim at the base of the fire. I had a small fire at my condo and barely got it out with a 10lb extinguisher.

Depending how you have that gas tank covered you should check the state laws; it may dictate adding a venting system to dispense the fumes. It should be in place even if it is not mandatory.

Spark + fuel fumes=BOOM!

Just another tidbit, all fire extinguishers are not created equal. Know their types and what kind of fire they are used for.

I use 2 types of extinguishers CO2 and halon on the boat.

in Ilinios all boats that are gas or battery powered must have exstingisher, whistle or horn, paddle and proper amount of life jackets for everyone aboard the boat

catfishhunter said:
in Ilinios all boats that are gas or battery powered must have exstingisher, whistle or horn, paddle and proper amount of life jackets for everyone aboard the boat

Same in Missouri I do believe. I actually have 2 of them stored in the boat.

In FL you are required to have a 1staid kit, horn or whistle, paddle, and fire ext. Along with a life jacket for each person onboard and a throwable cushion or life preserver if there are more than 3 people (That is for boats under 16 feet in FL). I think boats over 16 feet have to have a throw cushion no matter what. There are different requirements for different size boats and HP as well. Be sure to check your state requirements.

Nothing will ruin a fun day more than a a fine from the Fish and wildlife people. Here in FL they do not play. The FWC along with the Sherriffs dpt. and the U.S. Coast guard will do random inspections at the boat ramp and out on the water.

Last weekend I put in, and beached my boat right beside the Clay County Sherriff patrol boat, at the ramp and went to park the car and trailer. My wife stayed with the boat and when I got back they were asking questions about the length. When I told them 15ft he said "Oh Ok" Can you show me your life jackets? Of course I did and I asked if he wanted to see my safety equip. He said "No Your ok, Thanks and be safe".

Here is PA. So if you have a closed compartment for your gas you need one.

Fire Extinguishers
Fire extinguishers are classified by letters and numbers. The letter indicates the type of fire the unit is designed to extinguish. For example, a type B extinguisher is meant to put out flammable liquids, and type C is for electrical fires. The number stands for the amount of extinguishing agent in the unit. For example, a B-I extinguisher has less agent than a B-II. Motorboats 26 feet or more in length are required to carry Coast Guard-approved hand portable fire extinguishers.
Motorboats less than 26 feet in length, powered by an outboard motor and not carrying passengers for hire are not required to carry fire extinguishers unless they have one or more of the following conditions:

Closed compartments under seats where portable fuel tanks may be stored.
Double bottoms not sealed to the hull or not completely filled with flotation material. Note: Open boats such as johnboats where an after-market solid wood or metal floor is installed and is not completely sealed to the hull are not required to carry a fire extinguisher.
Closed living spaces.
Closed storage compartments in which flammable materials are stowed.
Permanently installed fuel tanks.
TYPES OF FIRES
Class A combustible solids, wood, paper, cloth
Class B flammable liquids and gases
Class C energized electrical equipment
Class D combustible metals

My two cents worth...its all I have after starting my mod. I am a firefighter, and while common sense prevails, I figured I would just add some info on fire extinguishers.

First rule: PASS: Pull, Aim, Squeeze, Sweep.

Second rule: Have the right extinguisher for the job. We are talking about petroleum products here, so a class B extinguisher is a must. These are usually foam or dry chemical, designed to remove the oxygen from the fire by smothering. CO2 extinguishers are ok, but only remove heat...usually not enough to put out a good fuel fire.

Third rule: Don't hang out! Extinguishers are truly designed for escaping danger. While you may get your fire out with one, always call for help.

I have been in a lot of burning buildings, and actually on one burning boat (thankfully I was at the firehouse!).

Not being a stickler, just want everyone to have a safe and fun season!!!!

I believe in VA, if you have a floor/decking, you have to have one. Even if it's just a sheet of plywood laying on top of the ribs. As for me, they're cheap enough, put it in there.

Most states make it a law. Pretty sure in MI you have to have one with any gas outboard, regardless of whether or not the tank is covered.

Common sense. If someone hasn't figured this one out, they need to get a lesson on Darwinism before it's too late.

dyeguy1212 said:
Common sense. If someone hasn't figured this one out, they need to get a lesson on Darwinism before it's too late.
If they do that then how would we get new entrants for the Darwin awards?
Mevermind, there are always plenty.

Latest posts