Where and how to store rods??

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eclipse507

Reaction score
I know you guys/gals that have made decks, and storage compartments, have places to store your rods..........But how are the rest of you doing it?? i have a 1986 1448 Lowe. I don't plan to remove any benches, or do any decking at this time. Whats the best way to store rods?? I am not a huge fan of mounting then so they stand vertical.

Any thought pics or ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

I just bought the rod saver velcro straps and had the rods lay across the decks. worked for me on my Lowe 1448

If you don't want to add decks now you can just attach the straps to the benches with self tapping screws

Attachments

• DSCF0003.JPG
    DSCF0003.JPG
    317.1 KB · Views: 1,502
This is how I store mine while I'm out fishing. I usually get the boat ready at home stick them in the holder and tow to the lake...no problems ever doing it this way and you can't step on them. I have 5 of them 4 are for rods and 1 for the net. Obviously when I have the cover on I lay them flat....the rod pictured actually belongs on the other side.

Jeffsstuff017.jpg

Jeffsstuff019.jpg

njTom said:
I just bought the rod saver velcro straps and had the rods lay across the decks. worked for me on my Lowe 1448

If you don't want to add decks now you can just attach the straps to the benches with self tapping screws

That's pretty slick... we (My daughters and I) were looking at a rod storage solution yesterday. I am putting the carpet on new bench seats this week and I think I will "borrow" your idea :)

Oh, we had a thread going about rod storage a little while ago...

https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=16903&hilit=rod+holder

Btw, I did the pvc holder for the fish net, except I mounted it near the transom. It works great and keeps it out of the way.

I have been contemplating what to do for storage in the "new and improved" boat and I have a concept in the works. My side console got a lift so I can stand and drive, and where it mates up to the gunwhale, I noticed that I have a blank space...can't have that!

I was thinking of getting some 1.5 or 2 inch PVC pipe and running them fore to aft from the console to the fore deck, along the gunwale and making a hook of sorts on the inside wall of the console...may be hard to picture so perhaps this weekend, i'll make it happen and show ya'll!

Stay safe!

When I am trailering I just lay them on the benches. But I made some PVC rod holders for a fraction of the cost of the store bought types. Drill a hole in the front so you can fit your screwdriver to screw it into wherever you want them. Two little sheetmetal screws hold them fine. They take up the least amount of space when stored this way.

P38270702.jpg

I used the little bungee cords that come by the dozen from the dollar store. I told my wife I needed bungees one time and she came home with a pack from the dollar store. I was making fun of her at the time because oof how small and cheap they were but it was perfect for holding rods down on the deck.

Dialtone said:
When I am trailering I just lay them on the benches. But I made some PVC rod holders for a fraction of the cost of the store bought types. Drill a hole in the front so you can fit your screwdriver to screw it into wherever you want them. Two little sheetmetal screws hold them fine. They take up the least amount of space when stored this way.

P38270702.jpg

I did something very similar to this except I used gray pvc conduit pipe and the appropriate size clamp that uses 2 screws instead of drilling the holes as in the pictures. I also put end caps on mine just to make it look a bit purdier. I used gray because I have gray carpet

TNtroller said:
I did something very similar to this except I used gray pvc conduit pipe and the appropriate size clamp that uses 2 screws instead of drilling the holes as in the pictures. I also put end caps on mine just to make it look a bit purdier. I used gray because I have gray carpet

Sounds nice, do you have any pictures? I would think vertical rods would just be asking to get snagged on your back cast... is that ever a problem for you?

i use a vertical 3 rod mounted on my console, use little bungees to make sure they are still there when i get to the water. when i get setup and fish i lay them down where i can reach them from the front seat.

I buy 2 piece rods and break them apart for storage and transport and strap them on the inside of the boat. I am also out of room to store them because of the layout of the boat.

Attachments

• P2200026.JPG
    P2200026.JPG
    488.3 KB · Views: 302