home built Jack Plate..

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm thinking about doing something similar. Have you had it out much and if so how is it holding up?

From the looks of it, I'm guessing a 24" motor on a 16" transom. I think I agree with the other poster, looks kinda unstable and a little weak too. Really looks high in the photos. Keep the life preservers handy and a safety rope from the motor to the boat.
Tim

I'm just going from a short shaft 9.9 Johnson 2 stroke to a long shaft 15hp 4 stroke Suzuki. The basic simplicity of the design and the size of the engine I'm using makes me think its workable. I do mostly inshore fishing on the Sea of Cortez and one thought I have with this conversion is say I'm down there and my Suzuki takes a crap. It would be nice to unbolt the jackplate and throw the Johnson on. Sometimes we're pretty remote and mechanics aren't always available.

It looks like it would be great for smaller outboards but do you know how it holds up with larger ones(8-15hp)? It looks great I would be mainly concerned with the wood section sense it doesn't have any thing supporting it in the middle.

yakyak2010 said:
I'm just going from a short shaft 9.9 Johnson 2 stroke to a long shaft 15hp 4 stroke Suzuki. The basic simplicity of the design and the size of the engine I'm using makes me think its workable. I do mostly inshore fishing on the Sea of Cortez and one thought I have with this conversion is say I'm down there and my Suzuki takes a crap. It would be nice to unbolt the jackplate and throw the Johnson on. Sometimes we're pretty remote and mechanics aren't always available.

Ah, the Sea of Cortez, love that fishing, have not been there in about 5 years. I'm jealous.
It looks like you have the motor mounted too high. A long shaft should only be 4 inches more than a short shaft. Is the prop completely below the boat? Where is the cavitation plate at in regards to transom bottom?

Tim

Looks a little flimsy to me too. The angle material is kinda thin IMO. If it is SS then okay, but AL, I don't know.

I agree, aluminum of that size may be a little too flimsy but I am very curious how well it works especially in rough water and turning on a dime. Be careful though!

Three Things:

First: You´re trying to put 50% more power. The hull might be capable for using 15hp, but if your hull was for 10hp id say be careful... but (read next)
Second: As you are trying to put 50% more hp, and the length of the aluminum makes the push even harder for the transom.
Third: The force applied at the braces, and how you pass the load from the lower angle to the upper one, its way incorrect. Then, the joint between the two angles, is too short, making it the perfect spot to get bent when turning fast or decelerating when turning.

If you ever hit something underwater, you might end up with a bent motor holder, the motor making a hole in transom, or the motor running furiously everywhere, not to mention getting over you.

With that design, you are effectively trying to break your transom with more power and more leverage. You're trying to end up in the water. Not judging you, but I really think thats not very smart.

Brace properly the transom side to side and it might be safer, use thicker square tubing, put a brace from side to side at the top of the transom and in the lower part inside the hull. The effect of the motor is two things: Pushing at the top of the transom and pulling the lower part.

My honest .02 c

Latest posts