Alumacraft 1448 Conversion

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey guys!
I am a new poster but have been lurking behind the scenes on the forum for a while.
I will be purchasing a 1448 Alumacraft riveted flat jon very soon and would love to add some of my own custom touches like all of you guys here.
I have a few ideas in mind that I have not come across in the forums and I'd like to run those by the experts here :-D.

One thing I have considered is for the flooring and decking -- instead of covering plywood with marine/outdoor carpet, I've considered covering the wood in a rubber/vinyl rollout garage flooring. These flooring's come in a variety of patterns (channel, diamond plate, coin, etc) but I'd probably go with the channel style.
I'd prefer black from a purely asthetic standpoint, but realize this could become hot in the sun, so may opt for a gray or tan.
What do you guys think of this as a floor covering? Ever seen this done?

I'm also considering building some type of 'roll bar' with lights on the top (probably 4 spotlight type lights).
Im thinking of making this out of PVC pipe, maybe 1". These bar wont have to support much other than the lights -- but I feel like i could strengthen the pipe if needed. I'd want to position this setup towards the back of the boat, maybe even with the back seats.
I'd like to make this easily removable, and have also considered making a 'bar' for the front of the boat is well, so that I could stretch a tarp between the two bars, creating a bimini top.
What do you guys think?

Also in terms of engines..Im looking at 6-9.9 hp stuff - do you think something as low as a 6 could push me, possibly my wife and added decking at resonable speeds? 15 mph? Im not looking to fly, but would like to move at a reasonable speed.

Thanks guys! And attached is a drawing of my roll bar concept..

https://img848.imageshack.us/i/rollbar.jpg/

:WELCOME:

Thanks for joining!

Your ideas sound very interesting. I like the idea of the light bar. What are you going to be using the boat for? What kind of waters are you planning on running your boat on?

Jim

I like the idea of the roll bar type light bar. Maybe even something simlar to a safari rack from a land rover. To put gear in or something. You could do it out of pvc and it would be plenty strong.

Something like this.... https://www.sportraxx.com/products/images/safari_cargo_basket/cargo_basket1.jpg

As for the decking, I looked at home depot at some of the rubber diamond plate and the rubber matting at home depot and I thought it looked great for covering the decking. It is kind of heavy though, especially on top of plywood. If you want to do a rubber type floor covering you might think about the kind that you paint on. Like the stuff used to put on garage floor.

I wouldn't go any smaller than a 15hp 2 stroke! I would recommend a 25hp 2stroke. You can pick up a used one for the fraction of the price of a new 9.9 four stroke.

I don't think a 9.9 would get you up on plane by yourself in that boat without decking it out.

Wow! Thanks for the quick responses already Jim and Reed!

Jim -- I'll be staying in small to mid size lakes and rivers here and there..
As for uses, it'll be for pleasure/exploration/fishing (nothing too serious, just recreational) and probably even some light hunting..
I'm really looking to just create my own little space where i can just 'get away' when I want.

Reed - nice thinking on the rack too - thats something very similar to the style Im thinking about - I do like the idea of that storage as well, as long as i could keep the weight down up there..

Also, I know what you mean about the weight of the rubber floor vs the carpet.
I have seen some roll out garage flooring that is fairly thin and moldable -- which has a pretty comparable weight to the carpet, although it's definitely a little heavier.

I'm still looking around at the used motors -- obviously my main concern is having enough power -- but there are a couple of nice lakes nearby that have 10 hp limits so I was hoping to stay below that.
Also I'm stronger considering remote steering/throttle (That means I want it but the $$ is a deterent) so Id have to find a cheaper motor in order to afford the rest of the set up!

I've got a good idea as far as what i want to do to the boat in terms of layout. The only thing I cannot picture is how to attach my 'roll bar' -- ive got a few ideas but this one is definitely going to be a visual..

I can't wait to get this thing and get started!
If anyone has good ideas feel free to share them! And I'll keep the updates coimng with pics.

Most 9.9hp and 15hp motors are exactly the same but have different carbs. When you look at the manufacturers specs on their websites you will be able to look at the 9.9 and the 15 and compare cubic inches and overall weight to determine this. Same goes for 25hp and 30hp mercs. I would be willing to bet that a lot of other manufacturers are this way as well.

Im telling you this becuase you might be able to get away with a 15hp and put some 9.9 stickers on it. Or get a 9.9 and swap the carbs. This would give you 15hp and still get you on those 10hp restricted lakes. You are not going to set any speed records but you could get a prop that would get you up on plane. From what I have read and learned from talking to others you would be better off getting a 2 stroke motor. They are lighter and have more instant power to get you up on plane quick. Plus they are all a few years old and good on the pocket book!

I got a good used 25hp merc 2stroke for $750.00 with controls. You just have to check and be patient. www.akmcallum.com has small side and center consoles you can order. Or you can get them from your alumacraft dealer even cheaper and install it yourself. If you want to see what the console looks like check out my build. https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=17299

Thanks for the info Reed! Yes I agree with the 2 stroke idea -- my main problem is definitely the price.
Also I stumbled across your swamp sled last week and I must say, very impressive!
Did you get your motor from an individual or a used dealer?
I seem to be having issues finding too many used things at good prices, and my main concern with getting something from a single person is whether the engine is in the actual condition the person says it is -- Im not a big motor person and really couldnt do much on my own without a TON of effort probably, ha.
I came across one website that seems reasonable (smalloutboards.com) but the shipping would cost me 200$ -- so that jacks it up a bit..
I've come across that site too with the consoles - they're actually down around my hometown -- they do have some pretty neat looking stuff!
If I make it to that point, I may try my hand out at building a console -- I know you tried that..but I may end up in the same boat as you -- pun intended. :mrgreen:

I got my motor from a local, independant outboard/boat repair shop. No warranty or anyt hing but he stands behind his work.

Be sure to take your time and have fun with it. For me looking for the good deals and parts was part of the fun of it. Im sure you can get a good 15-25hp motor for a good price.

You can always get the boat and start working on your light bar, decking, seats, wiring, and all the other stuff while waiting on a good deal on the motor.

If you find a little tiller like you mentioned 6-9.9 hp for good price you can always get it and use it for a season or so. maybe it will get you around and work for fishing those little lakes. If not then you can sell it and use the money to put towards a bigger one if needed next season.

a 9.9 will get you on a plane, and you should achieve somewhere around 15mph (give or take) by yourself. . Its gonna slow down quite a bit when you got another person in the boat though.

I've seen a few 9.9's on craigslist for 350-450...a merc, evinrude etc. They're a little older, but they say that they'll run.
There's actually a 9.9 evin with remote steering and throttle listed for 350, which seems like an absolute steal to me?? IF it all actually works?
This brings me to my next question for you guys -- what do I need to convert a tiller to remote?
Do I ONLY need the steering controls (approx 200) and throttle control (another 200)? Or are there other parts that I would need that aren't included in the standard kits that basspro and cabelas sell?
Also are all tiller outboards convertible to remote? Seems like I see some listed as convertible while others aren't -- so makes me wonder.

I appreciate you guys and your help -- I know a lot about electrical and the building aspect of my project but the engine/control issues are someting I know very little about..

I'll probably end up getting my boat and trailer, and get to work while i try to score a good engine deal off craigslist. But I def wanna get in gear!

Latest posts