Push pole; PP holder; and boat hook....$20.00 total cost.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

richg99

Reaction score
I spend a lot of time in extremely shallow water. With the winds and the varying tides, it isn't unusual for me to drift or putt-putt onto a reef or mud bank. The South Texas saltwater flats are full of them.

No harm done, unless you have to get out of the boat to push yourself off. One can quickly find two foot deep mud...or...oysters which will cut your feet.

I made an inexpensive push pole from a 10 ft length of one inch electrical PVC. A few PVC couplings; two plastic pipe hangers and some stainless steel screws finished out the job. I previously tried 3/4 inch ( too soft & floppy) and 1 1/4 inch (too big and heavy) sizes.

The "backwards facing" "- T -" is designed to allow me to also use the PP as a boat hook. When I get near a dock..I use a boat hook to draw the boat over. Beats reaching out and chancing a swim. I've always had a boat hook on every boat I owned.

Every boat's mounting surfaces will be different. I keep the pole on board by bending it around a rod holder that already exists. If you don't have something similar, one can add another plastic pipe hanger facing outwards to produce the bend. I also added an eye hook to use to tie the PP down. I didn't want the pole jumping off on the expressway at 70 mph.

regards,
Rich

2011-04-10%2011.13.40.jpg

2011-04-10%2012.34.35.jpg

2011-04-10%2012.34.55.jpg

2011-04-10%2012.35.08.jpg

2011-04-10%2012.35.32.jpg

Plugs...I bought PVC plugs that fit from Home Depot. Half of the fittings came from the plumbing section ( white ones ) and half from the electrical section (gray items) . regards, Rich