Mounting Pedestal Base Plates

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FishyItch

Reaction score
Hi All,

After looking through some other posts I've noticed that many have advocated a thicker plywood for mounting pedestal seat base plates. I'm planning on 1/2" for the floor and raised decks, but I've seen that some folks suggest 3/4" for where the base plates go. Here's my question... How do you guys add the additional thickness? Do you just bolt an extra piece of plywood to the existing deck where the base plate will go? Does the extra piece need to be anchored to the sub-structure (2x2's) at all?

Thanks in advance!

ps: One more week and then I have a week off. I already have a "grocery" list ready for my boat mod!

It shouldnt need to be bolted or screwed to the structure. I personaly would just, where the seat is going, double your 1/2 thickness and put the two pieces of plywood together with coated wood screws. Or you could use liquid nails as your bolts for the pedestals should go threw both peices in return holding them together anyways. Hope this helps some.

I used wall anchors to attach the 1/2" plywood to the aluminum bench seat, then screwed the mount into the bench. I bought the 12" aluminum extensions but that makes it too high to put your feet on the floor so I probably won't use them. A double thickness of the 1/2" probably would be better if you've got bigger guys in the seats.

I used #14x2" Stainless Steel Screws to attach mine. I lined up 2x3's where the bases were and screwed them down through the plywood into the 2x3s.

Latest posts