Aluminum boat paint

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigc87

Reaction score
Hi im new here, I have a 1967 15 foot Fisher water strider. I am trying to figure out what kind of paint to use and see if anyone has painted their boats red. i use it in the bay so i need a paint that will last. any tips would be helpful.

Any of the interlux atifouling paints are good. I like either the epoxy paints or a good urethane...but I am restricted to freshwater being landlocked. When I did live in the coastal region I used an ablative paint from interlux..I don't remember the particulars.

interlux is a good paint,but for topside ,on my old boat i used a marine enamel from home depot. it went on with a roller and smoothed out nice, and took a hell of a beating and held up really well for years.no fade and it was cheap.

Hey guys....I am also starting to look at painting options...and rather than start a new thread see if you guys can help?

I am looking at Rustoleum products since I have read some good reviews on here. Might sound like an odd question but does anyone know if there is a difference between the Rustoleum Marine Topside paint and the original Rustoleum Enamel other than price? The marine seems to cost about double the regular stuff. I read on another site that there was no difference other than price and a boat picture on the can between the two.

I also plan on using some type of spray gun...Wagner Sprayer maybe. How much paint have some of you guys used in your builds? I have a 14ft V-Hull. I plan on putting about 2 coats on. I was thinking a quart since it will be thinned out when put on the sprayer.

They are the same with the exception of like you said...a picture of a boat. Anything that says "marine" on the label is pretty much the same thing as anything else...they just know it will grab us. Kinda like a banjo minnow...catches fisherman..not fish. Rustoleum enamel will work great if followed by good clean prep work and a self etching or a zinc chromate primer. You could buy the "marine" rustoleum for peace of mind but you will be doing just that..buying it.

Are the Rustoleum paints tintable or do you have to buy the colors it's offered in? I can find flat black and flat white around here but I'd like a flat green.

atuck593 said:
I also plan on using some type of spray gun...Wagner Sprayer maybe.

Not to hijack the thread, but unless you already own a Wagner and are aware of their many, many drawbacks, stay far, far away from Wagner sprayers. Its only spending money to buy frustration. There should be a law against marketing such an inferior product. Just my .02.

Sorry bigc87 for hijacking your thread....

lbursell...I don't think I will be going the Wagner route. I have another idea that I will be posting on a new thread. Feel bad for taking over bigc's.