Homemade Livewell

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ictalurus

Reaction score
I'd like to add a livewell to my boat. Thought about going aluminum and that looks like it will get expensive fast. I've thought about making one out of 1/2" plywood, getting a decent plastic tub, cutting the plastic and mounting it to the ply and seal with sealant. Does this seem like a crazy idea, or could this actually work. Someone also mentioned pond liner. Let me know what you think.

Personally I think it is too much trouble to go through all that when you can just use a removable, insulated cooler. This way when you don't need it, its not taking up space and weight.

Jim said:
This way when you don't need it, its not taking up space and weight.

I use one now, works fine, but I always like to keep a few to fry. So the cooler is usually taking up space, I'm thinking of going in the center seat with the livewell.

nathanielrthomas said:
I thought you were looking for a 1448???? Id save the time and money and deal with the cooler

I'm keeping an eye out :wink: Not sure if I'm better off buying just the hull and stripping my boat of seat bases, trolling motor, seats, etc... and moving those to the new boat or trying to sell my boat with all that stuff now. All my money is tied up in extras, not the actual hull. Seems like I'd get $400 or so for just my hull or I'd guess around $1,800 for everything as is. I was pricing the lowe 1448, for just the hull Cabela's wants $1,500, which seems reasonable and it just may cost less using all of my realtively new stuff. I was just brainstorming, but I do love those 1448's and one is in the future, just don't know how distant that future is.

Ictalurus said:
nathanielrthomas said:
I thought you were looking for a 1448???? Id save the time and money and deal with the cooler

I'm keeping an eye out :wink: Not sure if I'm better off buying just the hull and stripping my boat of seat bases, trolling motor, seats, etc... and moving those to the new boat or trying to sell my boat with all that stuff now. All my money is tied up in extras, not the actual hull. Seems like I'd get $400 or so for just my hull or I'd guess around $1,800 for everything as is. I was pricing the lowe 1448, for just the hull Cabela's wants $1,500, which seems reasonable and it just may cost less using all of my realtively new stuff. I was just brainstorming, but I do love those 1448's and one is in the future, just don't know how distant that future is.

Well ive got a 1448 that youre welcome to fish out of anytime, if that will help your decision. Id opt for a 1648 if I had to do it again.

nathanielrthomas said:
Well ive got a 1448 that youre welcome to fish out of anytime, if that will help your decision. Id opt for a 1648 if I had to do it again.

Thanks man, I may take you up on that seeing how I'm unable to catch many fish at Glenn Springs :LOL2: I did go out to Herb Parsons this weekend, caught several crappie all under the 10" limit, couple blue cats and one small bass. An older gentleman fishing near me landed a nice 17" LM and yelled out that made 22 for the day :shock: At least he was throwing them all back. I think you may be right on the 1648, they are a great size. We have a 1648 Alumacraft at work that we dive out of, it's very stable.

Latest posts