Tracker TX17 project (maybe???)

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reedjj

Reaction score
Today I stopped in at the local boat shop and shot the breeze with the guys. I was told that someone had seen my little "Swamp Sled" on the creek and was interested in buying it! I hadn't even thought about selling it, Im not even done with it LOL.

Anyway he said something about $3000.00 - $3,500.00 which of course got me to thinkin... I took a little walk around back of the shop just to see what I could see and found this beauty. Already stripped and ready for resto. I saw the plywood floor that had been removed off to the side. It was about as sturdy as a potato chip. If you touched it, it just fell apart like dust. Amazing. I will definatley be going with aluminum on my next build no matter what it is.

Any way the boat hull is in great shape (kinda). No dents or holes anywhere that I could see. I figure with a little paint or alum cleaner she could look like new (on the outside anyway). The engine was basically non existent. No lower unit and no powerhead under the cowl. Not interested in it anyway...

I was thinking about cutting the area where the seats mount out of there and setting it up like a G3 CC jet boat. With a Jet. It had a 70hp outboard so i was thinking something like a 90hp jetdrive would be perfect. Maybe an OMC painted by Lil' Blue Rude.

The trailer looked to be in pretty good condition too. I was thinking of offering them about $500. for the boat and trailer. Then after the summer when the wife cools off over my current build I could sell it and use the money to build the tracker over the winter????

Here it is.... I know I have posted before about alweld and alumacraft but if the price is right I will pick her up quick.

I am really not in need of a jet boat like ones they run out west or on the "susky". I will just be runnin shallow sand and mud on plane and submerged logs (at a slow speed). So the need for a heavy hull or 1/4inch alum plate and UHMW is not applicable to my needs. I just don't want to have my lower unit kicking up all the time when I go over a log. or go over a sand bar.

This will actually be more than strong enough for what my needs are. Right now my riveted 1542 Alumacraft Swamp Sled is plenty tough. I was originally thinking of the riveted ALumacraft 1648 NCS, or an Alweld 1550 for a CC jet mod but like I said this is a boat and trailer combo, its welded, and its Cheap!

Whaddya Think?

Attachments

• tracker17int.jpg
    tracker17int.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 604
  • track17.jpg
    track17.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 604
  • trackertx17.jpg
    trackertx17.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 604
To get the console and cooler seat to fit the 17ft tracker I would have to move the cooler seat all the way back to the rear deck. Or get a center console that has no front seat and is mounted up against the rear of the front deck (like the G3 and lowe CCJets do).

Does anyone have a tracker with a Jet on it? I would be very interested to hear how they handle or perform. Are they heavy compared to the other manufacturers?

I would not be using wood for the decking or flooring.

If you can get it cheap, go for it. I wouldn't pay any more than 1500 for it, if the motor runs flawlessly.

If you're around MI, you've got a guy to sell the motor to (if it runs).

Glad to see I'm not the only one with this Tin Sickness!!!! Looks like a perfect project boat to me. I paid $500 for one in worse condition last year....but pricing is all relative to geography.

dyeguy1212 said:
If you can get it cheap, go for it. I wouldn't pay any more than 1500 for it, if the motor runs flawlessly.

If you're around MI, you've got a guy to sell the motor to (if it runs).

I think I can get it for under $800.00

The motor isn't worth anything. Its just a cowl and mid section. No lower unit or power head under the cowl.

Nussy said:
Glad to see I'm not the only one with this Tin Sickness!!!! Looks like a perfect project boat to me. I paid $500 for one in worse condition last year....but pricing is all relative to geography.

Oh yea, I got it bad.

My wife and I go for walks every Sat and Sun morning and lately I have been picking neigborhoods in a town called Keystone heights, FL. There are several small lakes in Keystone Heights so almost every yard has an old boat in it.

https://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&sugexp=ldymls&xhr=t&q=keystone+heights+fl&cp=19&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&wrapid=tljp130262748257804&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hq=&hnear=Keystone+Heights,+FL&gl=us&ei=p4SkTY-7D-Hf0QGY5uT3CA&sa=X&oi=geocode_result&ct=title&resnum=1&sqi=2&ved=0CB8Q8gEwAA

Im thinking I could set it up like this 1656 CCJet. The Big cooler seat and Center Console in the 1860 might take up to much room on this 17 foot tracker. But I think this configuration would fit really good.

Attachments

• 1656ccj.jpg
    1656ccj.jpg
    143.1 KB · Views: 541
  • 1656_ccj_ovh_.jpg
    1656_ccj_ovh_.jpg
    124.2 KB · Views: 541
Dangit.... I knew there would be a catch somewhere. I was looking at the current models of the 17foot trackers and they all have 60" bottoms. I was getting excited thinking I would have more room than the 1652 G3 CCJ.

Im not sure of the year of this boat. Im guessing mid 90's. Did they really make a 1748? that just seems crazy by todays standards?

Even if it is Im sure I can still make it work. I will just have to get a more narrow seat. I will have to go with a smaller Center console than the one on G3.

Probably a combo like this....

Attachments

• albox.gif
    albox.gif
    3.7 KB · Views: 502
  • alcc.gif
    alcc.gif
    5.5 KB · Views: 502
Even if it is only 48" wide thats only 4" inches narrower than the 1652. Thats 2 inches on each side of the console and seat less room. If my Console and seat are 4 inches more narrow than the g3's Im in buisiness.

Im going tomorrow to take some measurements and maybe make an offer on her if things measure out ok.

It took some looking but I found the beam on another forum.. A guy has a 1989 Tracker TX17, he said the beam is 69". No mention of floor width. But with a 69" beam I would say a 60" floor sounds about right. It would have to definately wider than 52"??? 56" at the smallest.

Anyone with any knowledge of this would be great! I guess either way I will find out tomorrow when I show up with my tape measure.

I will take your word for it. Guys on this site know thier stuff. I have not been able to find any specs on an "official" website so you are the best source so far.

I found this thread from last summer. https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=14206

I wonder why G3 doesnt offer the cooler seat option on all thier CC boats. Seems like its the best way to go.

Anyway I may try something like in the link. Or I would like for it to be just big enough to mount 2 seats like I currently have on the "swamp Sled" Side by side close together. Even if its only 48 wide it would work.

How do you like your tracker? Dont you have a jet on yours Dyeguy1212? I have been all through the jet forums looking for a tracker. I thought for sure someone had one?

Latest posts