Stopping my boat from spinnin in the wind

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davew

Reaction score
I have a Grumman pic below

5613018964_3bc8b43f21_z.jpg

I Know it is not a bass boat and I need a heavier boat,

but for this year I am at a loss as to what I can do besides anchor it down when out fishing to stop it from twisting in the wind like a wind chime... I have everything I can get in there that I need for weight

the first bin up front has over 30# of lures ( plastics lures weights etc. etc.) in it then the black box in the center with grey top has 2 optima batteries and a cabela's AGM battery (3 total in it) there is some weight there..

the cooler in the back is my livewell and I fill that up for weight (30 gallon) as well I am usually standing up front with my T motor. I have everything I need in the boat for a full 8 hour day of fishing I don't know what else for weight to add?

Besides anchoring it down how do you guys fish with every breeze is taking you all over the lake?

Wind is tough and everyone has to deal with it at some point. Outside of anchoring, or continually fighting it with your troller.....I'm not sure what to suggest.

Quackrstackr said:
I attach mine to a ski harness to keep it centered behind the boat.

X2...but used primarily for slowing drift...FWIW I tried using the sock with a ski harness off the stern to try and slow down my trolling speed with the big motor which runs at 2 mph minimum, and it worked to some degree, but it sure made steering a challenge.

First of all sit down. Your standing makes for a larger profile for the wind to catch.

You can get a couple of 5 gallon buckets and drill holes in the sides and bottom and attach them to your boat with a short line and that will retard your drift speed and a lot cheaper than a drift sock. 1 of them tied to each side of the stern of the boat will help when using a bigger motor to troll.

spg said:
First of all sit down. Your standing makes for a larger profile for the wind to catch.

You can get a couple of 5 gallon buckets and drill holes in the sides and bottom and attach them to your boat with a short line and that will retard your drift speed and a lot cheaper than a drift sock. 1 of them tied to each side of the stern of the boat will help when using a bigger motor to troll.

Not a bad idea, but they would take up a lot of room in a small boat when not in use. Drifst socks are expensive, but at least you can fold them up and store them when not using them.

I like the bucket idea I have more time than money so this is a viable option for me. Thanks for the tip. Stacking the buckets and sticking the rope inside the buckets will take up some space but I've got room.

Buckets work but they don't work as well as a drift sock.

You can size a drift sock to your boat but you just have to keep adding buckets until you find out how many it takes to slow your boat.

I SAW A GUY MAKE A COUPLE DRIFT SOCKS OUTTA SOME LEFT OVER TARP SCRAPS, LOOKED REALY SIMPLE BUT I HAVE NEVER TRIED

A heavy gauge vinyl tarp material with straps is basically all that mine is. Some of them are made from thin nylon.

I have a 14 foot Smoker Craft Canadian won't take much to slow the drift on the little guy.

spg said:

Sitting is not an option I only bass fish and I always stand up front.. Like I said The boat had seats when I bought it used and I canned them. I can not sit on a boat to fish, tired it and never have been able to just sit unless the boat is moving from one spot to the next.. :lol:

davew said:
spg said:

Sitting is not an option I only bass fish and I always stand up front.. Like I said The boat had seats when I bought it used and I canned them. I can not sit on a boat to fish, tired it and never have been able to just sit unless the boat is moving from one spot to the next.. :lol:

x2 - I always stand.

Latest posts