New Member Saying Hello

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrSimon

Reaction score
First off, this forum is fantastic. I've been buying, fixing up, and selling aluminum boats for years and I can't believe I just found this place. I spent a few weeks looking through all the build threads and have seen some really great stuff!!

I'm currently boatless ... just sold one a few weeks ago. I'm on the hunt for a 16' deep V project. I think I found it. Its a 1984 Sea Nymph with a 35 Johnson. I'm going to look at it on Saturday. Its rough, but thats the only way to buy these things :lol: :lol:
3nf3p53le5Y35Z15X6b4338913406fc3615f3.jpg

Welcome aboard....and....I like your prospective choice. Looks like you could make a dream boat out of it. Lots of sweat; money and work...but...the end result should be great. regards, Rich

p.s.. Where are you?

Welcome aboard!

If I bought that boat, I'd totally leave the tagging on it...I don't know that I've ever seen a tagged boat before....in fact..I may park my boat in a rough neighborhood in hopes of it getting tagged now that I've seen it...

lol, yeah the "custom graphics" are something else. Honestly though, I think it will keep the price down and maybe keep other buyers away.

The more I think about it, the more I want this boat. The seller isn't very responsive though, and he hasn't sent me the additional photos he promised. I'm not so sure I'll be able to get it this weekend. I'm also a bit concerned about his ad ... he says, "everything works great, but the battery is dead". That sometimes means it runs like crap and he is trying to hide it. I'll just take a battery with me, and some hose muffs ... hopefully I can even get to water test it. We'll see how it goes .... there is always another good boat deal just around the corner - no need to be hasty.

Oh, I'm from Southeastern PA.

MrSimon said:
lol, yeah the "custom graphics" are something else. Honestly though, I think it will keep the price down and maybe keep other buyers away.

The more I think about it, the more I want this boat. The seller isn't very responsive though, and he hasn't sent me the additional photos he promised. I'm not so sure I'll be able to get it this weekend. I'm also a bit concerned about his ad ... he says, "everything works great, but the battery is dead". That sometimes means it runs like crap and he is trying to hide it. I'll just take a battery with me, and some hose muffs ... hopefully I can even get to water test it. We'll see how it goes .... there is always another good boat deal just around the corner - no need to be hasty.

Go Phillies!

Haha, yup! They look pretty good this year too!

one100grand said:
MrSimon said:

Go Phillies!

The best thing to happen to the Phillies is a St. Louisan named Ryan Howard!!! :roflmao: I'm kidding of course but go CARDS!!!

Welcome aboard buddy!!! You have any pics of your other builds?

I finally talked to the guy who is selling this boat .... he is a complete "punk kid". He said the boat has no gas and no battery ... seems like he is coming up with lots of excuses to not run the motor. I think I'll show up tomorrow with a battery, some gas, a can of oil, a garden hose, and some muffs. Oh, I'll run it!

There are lots of reasons to just pass on this boat, but ..... I-CAN'T-HELP-MYSELF

The thought of getting a 16' Deep V Side consol with a 35 Johnson with nice decks and chairs .... all for less than $1k .... its just too good to pass up.

I understand the "fever".

The boat I have now wouldn't start at the ramp. I suggested that the owner change the plugs (which he had never done in a number of years). While we were buying new plugs, I bought a compression checker. I had left my compression checker back home.

We went to his house where he had a hose and muffs. I checked the compression and the two cylinders were within a few pounds of one another. Always a good sign. Compression was about 120 each.

We changed out the plugs in his driveway and she started right up..In fact, she started up with only one plug in one cylinder. I am pretty sure that if I had left, someone else would have bought the boat for the same price.... after he got it going..

From the sounds of your boat's present owner, I'd be certain to have copies of all necessary legal forms along with you...and double check the serial numbers on engine; boat and trailer.

I always print out two copies of a "bill of Sale" from the internet. I sign all copies and he signs all copies ...then we each keep one.

I'm sure you know all of this. Please keep us posted. I love a "hunt" for a new boat.. I've owned a ton of them.

regards, Rich

Well, the kid was so annoying that I said forget it. He wouldn't let me run the motor or test it for leaks. He refused to have the titles notarized, which is required for me to register it in PA. And he wouldn't come down any on the price.

I said fine, there are plenty of other boats in the sea.

MrSimon...This may be the very best boat that you never bought. By now, you know there is something terribly wrong with his "offer for sale".

One time I bought a $250.00 sailboat from a guy nearby. Stupidly, I didn't check the serial number, imprinted on the stern of the hull.

When I DID get the boat home and finally looked, it was obvious that the ID plate had been screwed with. I called him and said I was coming to bring him his boat..and get my cash back. He said "no way" .. "too bad".

I then told him that the very next call would be to the local sheriff's dept to report that he sold me stolen property. I got my money back a half hour later.

You just never know these days.

Rich

Welcome aboard. Sounds like a blessing not to end up with that rig. I look forward to seeing a mod from you in the future.