Shock/piston for hatches

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dyeguy1212

Reaction score
I'm trying to track down some short, CHEAP shocks/pistons for my rod locker. The door wants to shut on its own, and I know its going to cost me a rod this summer.

Anyone have any leads? The only cheap ones I can find seem to be really long because they're for the back window of a car or something.

goto the autoparts store and tell them you'd like to have a look at what they got. Other option is a rod that latches when you open, and you lift and push it over to shut, that can be hand crafted by you.

look for one that will fit on a small hatchback car, like a mazda 3 or similar. Some supports for the engine hood are short as well. Need to determine the approximate length for your rod box. Try looking at rockauto.com, they may have something for you.

Bugpac said:
goto the autoparts store and tell them you'd like to have a look at what they got. Other option is a rod that latches when you open, and you lift and push it over to shut, that can be hand crafted by you.

Good call, that'd keep me from having to install a locking latch to keep the lid closed. Too bad this engineering degree only comes with the CATIA and CAD training, but won't let me play with the multi million dollar machines that GMC donated...

Guess I'll have to go with something more along the likes of a "rig job"...

dyeguy, my buddy lives really close to you and can water jet and machine, he is very very cheap to, does it for a hobby, if you need anything let me know ill put you in touch with him.

Go to Home Depot and get a "safety hinge". These are used on things like toy chests to keep the lid from slamming down on little fingers and cost about $5.

Attachments

• saf_hng.gif
    saf_hng.gif
    9.8 KB · Views: 659
Bugpac said:
dyeguy, my buddy lives really close to you and can water jet and machine, he is very very cheap to, does it for a hobby, if you need anything let me know ill put you in touch with him.

Thanks bug I'll give it some thought. I'd like to keep this job relatively simple, so I might go a pre-manufactured route, but I'm always finding something I want made up :D

I would suggest a hatch spring. Simple, easy to install, no maintenance. Can get different sizes depending on the weight of the lid.

Attachments

• hatch spring.jpg
    hatch spring.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 632