Painting with a Compressed Air Sprayer

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

atuck593

Reaction score
Like many of you on here I am working on a budget for my build. It's getting to that time for the build to go into full swing and one of the questions for my budget is paint. My first plan was to use "rattle" cans of self etching primer and then top coats of Rust-Oleum from a spray paint can. I fear that this could get costly to paint an entire boat inside and out with at least two good coats. I then found a Wagner sprayer in our basement to use with an oil based enamel paint. The sprayer was barely used but after some research on here I see that many people have not had good experience with them. (I also found out why ours was barely used...not worth the mess.) I then found Harbor Freight and realized I live 30 minutes from one.

This leads me to my question. I found a paint sprayer on their website for around $20 that received great reviews. Added with the cost of Rust-Oleum by the quart it will work out to be the same maybe a little less for the entire project than buying all "rattle" cans for the paint job. One of our moderators Brine did an awesome urban camo job on his build and mentioned it was pretty easy having no experience doing this before. Does anyone else have any experience using one of these guns? Is it worth it? How is the quality?

I was also wondering what I would need for the set up.
Compressor (I have access to either a 6 gal 150 psi or a 3 gal 125 psi. Which would work better?)
Spray Gun (The one I am looking at is High Volume Low Pressure gravity fed. Is it right for this job?)
A filter valve to get rid of condensation and dirt in the line
Finally paint and thinner

If there is anything else I might be missing let me know. I figure gun $20 and valve $5 from Harbor Freight and then the cost of the paint. Will be about the same as 10 cans of quality spray paint at $4 a can and I can add two good coats. Maybe I am underestimating or overestimating but any help or input would be great from experience.

I'm not sure on the quality of the harbor freight gun, but it should likely work fine for what you need it for. The hvlp gun should be a good choice since you are using such a small compressor.

The spray gun techinique will save you alot of time and make alot better job than the spray bombs would.

You might have to wait on the compressor here and there, but it will still be faster with thicker, more even coats than rattle cans.

I am too, considering painting my boat. and being a Automotive painter for a living I am trying to make myself not go overboard. Base/clear, with pearl and fully blocked,buffed,etc.

I just got a cheap sprayer from Northern and so far I have primed and painted my trailer with it. This is definately the way to go. The clean up isn't fun, but worth it. The compressor I'm using is a little under powered, but it still beats the heck out of spray cans.

Bought my base color today so hopefully I'll start painting the boat this weekend.

Even if you spent the same money for sprayer and paint vs. spray cans you'll have that spray gun for other projects.

Thanks guys....I just wanted to make sure that I had at least the right equipment for the set up. I am trying to get the best quality for the most reasonable amount of cash.

I just need to find out now the proper ratio of paint and thinner for the spray gun. It will be plain old Rust-Oleum from Home Depot...

Would it be worth adding a hardener to the paint for a better coat to resist scratches?

With either of those compressors you need to buy the lowest CFM rated full size spray gun Harbor Freight has or you will be waiting on your compressor. My Harbor Freight I just primed my trailer with this afternoon is rated for 6 CFM. Check the CFM on your compressor, I think you will see what I am talking about, for automotive we figure 1.5 times the CFM of the gun and at least a 60 gallon tank or you end up with hot air condensating out moisture in your paint. The Harbor Freight spray guns do spray pretty good, I use them for primer, boats, trailers and wood work, I have better guns for Automotive.

Flintcreek

Read up on ISO's before you going with hardner it can mess up your respiratory system...fresh air respirator is recommended for spraying.

Flintcreek

Thanks...Flint. It looks like I have a lot more research than I thought with this project. Even with the dryer valve or air filter added to the hose comming out of the compressor, would I still need a larger tank to keep out moisture? I only have access to a 3 or 6 gallon tank. To go and buy a larger one would defeat the purpose of not having to buy all the "rattle" cans.

I have also have only used Rust-Oleum on things around the house. Would I even need the hardener for the boat application?

I have a Porter Cable PSH-1 HVLP sprayer that I used for furniture projects - lacquer finish. I have read that one of the HF guns is virtually the same sprayer and gets good reviews. If you are getting the same gun it should work fine.

I loaded half a cup with mineral spirits and sprayed cardboard to get the pattern set right.

Ok after some quick research...I think the gun should work.

The gun is the 20oz gravity fed from Harbor Freight. It requires 50 - 70 PSI to operate and uses 6CFM (Cubic Feet per Minute?) I don't have the compressor I plan on borrowing it from my girlfriends father...but looking at a Porter Cable 6 gal it puts out 3 - 6 SCFM (Steady Cubic Feet per Minute?) at 40PSI. I think it might be a little underpowered but should work ok? I am new at this and am learning as I go here.

Latest posts