fixing minor cracks/ holes in 12' aluminum jon

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ca06320

Reaction score
I just got a 12' jon for free, but is has 5 tiny cracks in the bottom which cause slow leaks. Cabelas has an epoxy that they say can repair these types of things, but I am skeptical. I was thinking about using the epoxy on the cracks and then coating the entire bottom with steelflex, since that seems to be the favorite for people on this site. Can I get away with just using the epoxy or should I use the steelflex too? Am I going about this all wrong? Thanks in advance for the help. Site is awesome.

Not sure if you are close to one, but small fabrication shops usually have TIG or MIG welders and can easily weld up your cracks for you. Its a permanent fix and will cost you less than Steelflex will. You can often pull the boat right into their shop and they'll weld it up while you wait. Maybe an hour or so and will cost $100 or so.

HAD A BUDDY THAT USED MANY DIFFERENT KINDS OF EPOXY AND OR / COATING FOR HIS 12' V TO NO END FINALLY HAD TO HAVE IT WELDED AND HAD TO STRIP OFF ALL THAT JUNK HE PUT ON WAS A MESS IF YOU OPT TO HAVE IT WELDED DO IT BEFORE YOU DO ANYTHING ELSE ALUMINUM IS REALY PORUS AND ABSORBS PRETTY MUCH ANYTHING IT TOUCHES, I MADE A SET OF TRAILER FENDERS OUT OF OLD ALUMINUM FUEL TANKS LOOKED GOOD BUT WELDED HORRIBLY, THE ALUM ABSORBED SOME OF THE FUEL AND JUST POPPED ALL OVER THE PLACE, I WOULD HAVE IT WELDED.

ok, thanks, I didn't realize getting it welded would be about the same price as Steelflex.

This is what I did on my build for cracks.

"It’s a banged up boat, I had some cracks that I needed to fix. Use a small drill bit(1/16th) and drill at both ends of the cracks, This stops the cracks from getting bigger on ya.

I took all the hardware off, which was nuts, bolts, handles, and the jerry rigs.

I used a paint stripper I got from Wal-Mart for $10 bucks a gallon and used 2 of them, it took about a total of 30 hrs to strip this boat. I washed down the bare metal with mineral spirits afterwards.

I picked up some of those welding aluminum rods for repairs. Bought a good propane torch and went to town on it to fix unwanted holes and cracks. After filling up six of these holes I quit doing it. The metal was warping on me. I took a friends idea and popped a bolt in it instead with some 5200 sealant.

The welding rods worked good for the cracks, So this I stuck with."

She has not leaked since 8)