Transom Build-up?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mojo^

Reaction score
I'm replacing my transom with two layers of 3/4" exterior grade plywood and intend to glue them together using PL Premium. When cured, I want to drill all required holes (slightly oversized) and then coat it with fibergalss resin before reinstalling. My question is, which side should the glue be applied to? Should I glue the finished sides together or the sides containing the knots? I'm thinking finished sides since it will eliminate any voids. The transom will be completely enclosed in aluminum structure so appearance isn't an issue.

Personally, I would glue the sides with the knots in them together in an attempt to further seal the finished product.

Too late, that PL Premumum is some tough stuff and everything was glued together last night. I applied PL to the smooth sides because I didn't want to risk having voids inside the finished transom. I may start over completely. The more I think about it, I may modify the transom to incorporate plywood the entire width and length of the transom rather than just the top half as it is now. The boat is only rated for a 15 hp and it came with a 25 hp Johnson so I'm thinking that it may need the extra support a full length transom can provide although the added weight might not be such a benefit.

Putting the finished sides together might be a good way of doing it. I didn't think about interior voids until you mentioned it.

Either way, you'll probably be alright..

I run a 25hp motor on my 1436 jon. When I rebuilt my transom I added a 1x6 oak board to it.

Attachments

• IMG_5577.JPG
    IMG_5577.JPG
    473.7 KB · Views: 774
  • IMG_5584.JPG
    IMG_5584.JPG
    450.3 KB · Views: 774

Latest posts