Patching screw holes for smooth finish

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

junksta

Reaction score
I'm repainting a 14' Mirrocraft, before I do, what can be used to patch and hide the holes. I don't want to use screws or rivets but rather fill it and sand it out to a smooth finish. If anyone has used a product that held up, please let me know.

If you are able to weld you can pick up a cheap small wire welder at Lowes or Home Depot for a couple hundred bucks and some aluminum wire. Keep the heat low as possible and you can tack up the holes then get a dremmal tool or something small like that with a good sanding disk or a grinding wheel. If you use the grinding wheel be careful not to grind to much off, but with that you can make it smooth. Also dont hold the weld to long, if the aluminum is very thin it can make the hole bigger and make it much harder to fill. Just do small tacks and give each one time to cool before hitting it again if you need to. Once you get the hang of it it wont take anytime to fill those holes and be ready for paint.

I've always just used aluminum brazing rods as long as you are easy with the heat it's not too bad. I'd practice on something else first though.

Look on top of page 2 of the thread for my Sportsman runabout. I went to a welder to get about 40 screw holes welded shut. He suggested this epoxy product. It works really well but it hasn't been in the water yet! I need to get back to work on this but it's supposed to snow here on Saturday!!!

https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=14501&hilit=+sportsman

bobberboy said:
Look on top of page 2 of the thread for my Sportsman runabout. I went to a welder to get about 40 screw holes welded shut. He suggested this epoxy product. It works really well but it hasn't been in the water yet! I need to get back to work on this but it's supposed to snow here on Saturday!!!

https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=14501&hilit=+sportsman
Thanks all, bought the JB Marine epoxy and did the tape backing like you suggested.

Latest posts