Baitwell-/livewell question

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

richg99

Reaction score
I've only had one baitwell/livewell equipped boat and that was over 15 years ago.

My Lowe 160W has a live well. I think the live well is missing a riser, because the drain, which has its own plug, looks like it will drain all of the water out if I don't have the plug in. I doubt that the fish will stay alive for long if I don't change out the water.

I presume that I am looking for a 1/2 inch piece of PVC with holes drilled near the top?? That would, I assume, let the water rise to the first holes, and I could keep water pumping in while it is slowly draining back out, refreshing the water constantly??? Does this make any sense??

Secondly, if I wanted to use it as a baitwell, It appears that I need the same sort of drain riser, and I must also add an aerator bar across the top. That would be easy enough to do, It believe.

Any help appreciated. thanks, Rich

You probably could use the TH Marine ODT-1 riser for the drain/overflow, There is also a screen cap/top that you can buy for the tube, model # ODTS-1. This riser is the 12" straight one. It also comes in an 18", length, another with a 90 elbow, and even a larger diameter that I am sure you wouldn't need. A quick search will find the tube available from $7 to $20.

Your right that you would also want to add an aerator or baitwell pump of some kind. My sons Lowes 14W has the baitwell pump/pickup on the outside transom with hose routed over the transom.

I already have a baitwell pump. I added water to the baitwell using the pump a few days ago. Thanks for the very specific help. Sounds like you are a boat pro.

I looked up the TH Marine ODT-1 riser. Since I have a lot of PVC odds and ends around, can you tell me what the Outside Diameter is of the ODT-1 ?

I'll just make my own if I've got the right diameter tubing here. If not, I can buy one....but...just as soon make it myself.
thanks, rich

The riser is 1/2" pvc, the problem is how you plug the the PVC into the hole in the bottom. The ODT1 comes with a vinyl/rubber plug on the end that fits(pushes) into the drain hole. Not sure how I would replicate this plug part? If the hole has threads it might be a simple thing to do?

Just off the top of my head...I guess I'd cut three or four one inch slots into the 1/2. That should allow it to compress some.

I'll wrap a piece of electrical tape on if it is too big. I'd mess around with it and see what comes out. The boat is at the barn now, otherwise I'd already know if the slots would work....thanks VERY MUCH. Rich

Latest posts