So, im new on here....thinking about my first boat

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

93civEJ1

Reaction score
To start off...I have never had a boat before, but I love to fish. I think its time that I let my 01 motocross bike go in hopes of finding a decent little fishing rig. It looks like my 01 is worth around 1250$ for what the books say. Is this a good amount I can find a decent little start up boat? what all should I look for? I wouldnt mind doing a project one, but I would like to at least find one that I can use this season, and then work on it in the off season. Thoughts?

Are you looking to run a gas outboard or just an electric trolling motor?

What kind of water will you be fishing? Rough, calm, river, lake?

How many people will typically be in the boat?

Welcome aboard!

I would definitely say that you should be able to find a boat in that range...I paid $100 for mine and I live in an expensive area...keep your eyes open and don't fall in love with something that's overpriced...I checked Craigslist for probably 3 months before finding exactly what I wanted...keep checking and you'll find something nice in your price range!

I will be fishing in the local lakes...the east TN area...so the water is usually pretty calm. As far as people...usually no more than me and maybe a buddy...im just sure not what to look for. I would prefer an outboard...i cant imagine covering much water on just a trolling motor

IMO this would be a great starter boat for a medium to small lake...lite weight plenty of room and the max HP for this boat size and lots of room for doing upgrades/mods. I'm Not saying this specific boat but one just like this although the price isn't bad you could probably get it for $700.00 with cash. Again this is just an example.

https://duluth.craigslist.org/boa/2325020595.html

I looked for about a year before I bought mine. a 16' jon boat fixer upper. no outboard. and a 36# thrust trolling motor. Does fine for me and 2 friends. Just have to know your limits on the trolling motors range. The boat that's listed on here would be a real bargain. Also mine cost 200 with a trailer.

If the lakes you'll be fishing allow for a gas outboard .... get one for sure!

Personally I think 12 footers are just a tad small. A 14 or 16 foot v-hull or mod-v jon boat with a 9.9 or 15 HP outboard would be just the ticket. They range from really basic for cheap all the way up to tricked out bass boats for $10k.

There is a thread on here where everyone posts pics of their boats. Its like 40 pages of ideas, lol. Look through it to get an idea of what the guys on here run.

are there advantages and disadvantages to v-hull vs flatbottom, etc? I have had some interest for my bike, and one guy has a 16' v-hull.

93civEJ1 said:
are there advantages and disadvantages to v-hull vs flatbottom, etc? I have had some interest for my bike, and one guy has a 16' v-hull.

The v-hull will ride better, the flat bottom will be more stable fishing and what not, but that is all relative depending on width, boat layout, and movement.

Thanks....I appreciate everyones info on helping me to find my first boat ever....Im just ready to get off the bank....in the water...and give up something I dont hardly use any more for something I can get some use out of. :D

haha....so anyways...i was sitting here thinking...should I get rid of my bike and replace it with a boat of more money, or should I use some cash I have laying around, and buy a project boat...Im not sure at what kind of expensive restoring a project boat usually takes? #-o

Im not sure at what kind of expensive restoring a project boat usually takes? #-o

Totally depends on the boat and what materials you use. Some are simple and clean...others are a little more complicated with compartment hatches, livewells, outboards, etc.....Take a look at some of the mods that members have done. You'll start getting lots of ideas and possible direction on how you want your boat layout to be.

Here's the link to the mods.

https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=3156

ah yes...i have already been looking at the mod section....been reading each one that I find interesting...what a wonderful way to waste the work hours...haha

oh....i have no issue with tools at all...im quiet the handy man....i just finished building up a whole built motor / automatic to straight shift transmission build of my car...lifting my truck....building speaker enclosures....fixing electronics...etc

....along with building and modding all kinds of other toys through the years...its in my blood. :)

Attachments

• 2010-07-24 20.33.09.jpg
    2010-07-24 20.33.09.jpg
    1,011.1 KB · Views: 870

Latest posts