Rooster Tail

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BaitCaster

Reaction score
So, took the boat out for the first outing since installing the fish finder. My transducer throws a pretty bog rooster tail at WOT. Is this normal/expected? Anything I should do about it?

Smile and wave!
Get back at the jetskis!
Tell people my roostertail is bigger than yours!

Or you could just move it up higher so it's not so low under the boat. My humminbird actually has a rubber piece they made to put between the transducer and mount to reduce the effect. It works great, but makes me afaid if I hit anything, the transducer will be damaged instead of flipping up like it should.

Here are some links on that. I think there are differing opinions on the rooster tail. How was the performance at high speed?

https://continuouswave.com/ubb/Forum4/HTML/004320.html

https://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=261400&page=1

https://www.google.com/search?q=tranducer+rooster+tial&sourceid=ie7&rls=com.microsoft:en-us:IE-SearchBox&ie=&oe=

wasilvers said:
Smile and wave!
Get back at the jetskis!
Tell people my roostertail is bigger than yours!

Or you could just move it up higher so it's not so low under the boat. My humminbird actually has a rubber piece they made to put between the transducer and mount to reduce the effect. It works great, but makes me afaid if I hit anything, the transducer will be damaged instead of flipping up like it should.

That's great. Thanks. I may have got that rubber piece with my transducer. What does it look like?

BaitCaster said:
That's great. Thanks. I may have got that rubber piece with my transducer. What does it look like?
[/quote]

Of course I couldn't find a picture, but it's just a little piece of rubber that fits in the square opening on the transducer mount. I almost threw mine away not knowing what it was. I did have to 'force' it to fit, but it solved the problem.

It's most likely channelling water up through the hole in the mount. I capped mine with a piece of SS sheetmetal to fix the problem. Mine would actually spray back up over the transom and soak your back at speed.

True, but they won't usually read at speed mounted like that.

Running on KY Lake, being able to read depth at speed is a must.

I read some other forum threads on this topic and it seems that Humminbird did provide a rubber plug with the hardware that came with the unit, which is supposed to solve the problem. Unfortunately they don't label the plug of provide any instructions on how to install it! Anyway, I think I know what it is (I thought it was an extra piece for locking down the ducer). I'll take a pic of it and post, just for the record. Seems there is not a single picture of this part on the whole internet!

If I get home before dark, I'll take a picture of mine installed so you at least have some guide.

My Humminbird transducer was real sensitive to its position. It seems a couple of thousandths of an inch too low and it would throw a huge rooster tail. A couple thousandths of an inch too high and it would not register at speed. I finally managed to get it right and now I do not ever plan on touching it again, too hard to adjust.

Quackrstackr said:
It's most likely channelling water up through the hole in the mount. I capped mine with a piece of SS sheetmetal to fix the problem. Mine would actually spray back up over the transom and soak your back at speed.

My Tracker 1542 does the same thing really bad i have mooved them up and down but it dosnt help my back deck gets soaked every fishing trip

This is a picture of the plug on my transducer. It stoped the roostertail on my boat.

HB798transducerWithPlug.jpg

Mine is doing that too now. I'm going to look into putting a shield over it or a plug like in one of those pictures.

Oh and if you really want to see a rooster tail.....slide up behind my jet with my motor trimmed up. :mrgreen:

dyeguy1212 said:
fender66 said:
BaitCaster said:
Found the plug and installed it Friday.

Where'd you find the plug? Was it included in the box?

I've never seen that with any of the humminbirds I've owned. It does look like a loop of electrical tape would be about the same though.

Very funny you said that. I just came in from working the trailer after being out today and wrapped some electrical tape around it. Good minds must think alike. :mrgreen: =D>

Latest posts