Boomerang jon comes back...ID help?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

autinboat

Reaction score
Does anybody know who made this old jon? Really upswept bow, 2 transom braces and 3 full seats are a little distinctive. Its a 14 footer, 38" wide in the bottom and 53" across top.
Dad bought this from his best friend/fishin' bud in mid 80s...dad passed in '02 and mom then gave it to another of his old friends in '03, who then called me 2 weeks ago to come drag it back home...kinda completing the circle (lovely wife is just plain ecstatic with joy :---) ). I'm currently replacing the transom wood (oversized and 4 coats of spar urethane) and have removed 2 buckets of fittings, etc...from the hull. Lotsa JB Weld in holes so far.
I've got lots of good old memories in this rascal and am making it water-worthy again. Nothing real fancy...just want a good little pond/lake boat for me and the boys. It was registered when dad had it in '02 but I don't have the papers...#s are still on the boat. I'll probably go by the probate office next week and just ask if I can reregister it (I'm a Jr and own their house so name and address is OK). Never hurts to ask. :) They may have all the old registration info in the computer.
Love this site and it has already helped me a ton...

Attachments

• IMG_2080.JPG
    IMG_2080.JPG
    517.1 KB · Views: 618
  • IMG_2081.JPG
    IMG_2081.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 618
  • IMG_2135.JPG
    IMG_2135.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 618
  • IMG_2134.JPG
    IMG_2134.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 618
Yea, it does seem pretty stout, and there are LOTS of other stories that the boat was part of. It was kinda funny that dad and doc (his friend) had a selection of 4 other boats to pick from (all bigger, fancier, and significantly more expensive) and they used this jon probably 75% of the time.
The boat is riveted, but they had some al angle welded in some areas of the boat to stiffen her up even more. Really is a great all around basic boat...bow seat/platform, 3 benches (middle is a livewell). Has a Coca-Cola bottle opener solid riveted in the side...looks like it came from the factory that way. Trailer is a 1977 Dilly and the motor is a '73. The trolling motor just laying on the bow is a '90 (?) Johnson JBF4Y foot control 12/24 volt that I don't really like...probably will sell or trade that. It seems that those older Johnson trolling motors are really popular. I just don't want to carry 2 batteries and they seem to not run NEARLY as well in 12v.

Well im not sure about Alabama (I'd have to ask dad on that one) but in KY all we have to do if the boat isnt registered for a long period of time is sign an affadavit stating who has had the boat in their possession for the last 7 years and have those people sign those papers too. If you are not sure of the make and model you just add that in the affadavit too along with a physical description of the boat. You can apply for a new title, license, and register the boat all in the same day. Of course that may be completely different down there. Oh and most importantly........ WDE!!!

It looks alot like my Fisher.

It is hard to tell from the angle but it has that pronounces sweep to the bow.

bW1jMS9EQ0lNLzEwMExHRENGL0ltYWdlMDMwNzIwMTExNTQ2MDkuanBn-1.jpg

Nice old boat.
I know I've seen a factory coca cola bottle opener on another boat but can't seem to find it on google.
If it was registered before it probably will have that information you are looking for.

JasonAlex84......thanks for the idea, I'll check with pj office Monday. And of course...WDE....We (me and the 2 sons) just got home from the A-Day game...they were playing the BCS game on the big screen before the scrimmage. I got the boys field access at halftime and they're still on cloud nine.

Backpain...thanks for the tip. I googled and did see quite a few Fishers with the upswept bow. Is there a specific purpose/application that lends itself to a more pronounced upsweep like that?

I betcha that Coke bottle opener was used often, but rarely for Cokes...

I'm jealous. I was supposed to head down that direction this weekend for a family get together but my sister couldnt get off work so they came to KY instead. Im gonna try to come see the rest of the family next month though but I wont get to see any football till September :cry: . I'm happy for your boys though (it seem's you're raising them right). That will be something they'll always remember. I'll never forget the moment I realized I had wore of on my son. We were watching the '05 AU vs UGA game. I had stepped outta the room during a commerical break and the game had came back on without me knowing. I f found out because all the sudden I hear my 3 year old in the living room yelling "RUN KENNY RUN!!!!!!" I of course thought he was just repeating what he had seen me do for a majority of the game. I stepped into the room just in time to see the tail end of a long Kenny Irons run and my son still screaming and jumping up and down. At that moment I kinda teared up.

My only guess for the nose in the air would be to give another inch or three on the bow what you find yourself in a bit of rough water. A friend had a flat Jon that was mighty scary when the waves were washing over the bow. I have yet to have that happen mine. It seems to handle waves and chop better.

My only guess for the nose in the air would be to give another inch or three on the bow what you find yourself in a bit of rough water. A friend had a flat Jon that was mighty scary when the waves were washing over the bow. I have yet to have that happen mine. It seems to handle waves and chop better.
Makes sense...I can remember running WOT across open water on Lake Martin (a loooong time ago before age restrictions on boaters) in rough stuff,weather,etc.. and it handled it OK...for a Jon.