Holy Refurb Project!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rgpemt

Reaction score
Hey gang,
First let me say HELLO from Maine! Open water fishing season is upon us and the ice is finally on its way out, I'm ready for boating!
Years ago I purchased a 1989 ProLine 16' Aluminum Bass Boat. I bought a VERY old Evi 40HP electric shift motor and realized that the transom was a short shaft...and so it began...
I cut the transom down to mount my motor, sealed it all up and went fishing. Times got tough and I sold the whole package for some cash to pay the bills. Years later, I bought it back for what I got paid for it! I was excited, this boat was a lot of fun! However...the other owner decided that the old 40 was not enough and added a 1974 Johnson 70HP Long shaft. He never adjusted the transom, and the lower unit was REALLY low.
I cleaned it up, made up a transom bracket with some good solid lumber, used some fiberglass resin to seal it all up and with no fail, my old boat was on the water again, and running strong.
Things being what they have been for the last few years, the old girl sat, uncovered for almost two years and now...the deck and transom are frightening me. I had planned on pulling the whole deck and replacing it, adding some seats for my kiddos, and making hidden storage to keep the deck clear for fishing. Plans are drawn and I am ready.
Then...the transom popped into my head. I can remember drilling the holes for that big ol motor and seeing the wet, dark wood come out of the holes...after reading as many threads on transom repair as I could find, I have decided to just do it. I have around a month before the water will be warmed up enough for some good smallie fishing and plan on tearing into the project this coming weekend. I'll post some pics and hope to get a little advice along the way.
I also plan on using the Seacast product in the transom and will shoot pics along the way.
Does anyone have any advice? I'm good with tools, good with wood, and good with creativity, and after reading so many posts, I know this is the right place to ask!

Well, I started to do some digging, literally! On the port side, inside the boat I pulled the carpet to find an aluminum plate running fore to aft along the whole side. There is nothing between this and the outer hull so I'm thinking its gone as soon as I have 20 minutes. Pulling the carpet back further and across the sole, the plywood underneath was SATURATED! I expected this but have to say that now I understand better why it is so important to properly treat wood in a boat. The small pieces that I ripped out, smaller than 2 foot square weighed in around 3 pounds each! I have the entire deck to rip out...that should lighten the load a bit!

The transom project is also going to prove painful. I am hoping to have some time tomorrow after my 24 hour shift to cut the cap off the transom and see if in fact it runs the whole width of the back of the boat. Good news is that it is a welded hull...the rivets are not holding structure for the hull (WHEW!) I looked into the seacast product, and while it is PERFECT for what I want...there is no way I can afford the 13 gallons they say I will need. We will have to adjust plans a bit and probably sandwich the plywood in there for a few more years of enjoyment.

I'll snap and add some pics tomorrow as I'm pulling the deck and add them on here during my next 24 hour shift. The weather is going to be garbage up here this week...on my days off of course...so we will see what we can get done. I did notice that 96 of you read my post and I want to thank you all! I look forward to hearing your ideas!!!!

Bob

Sounds like you've got a handle on things. Its the pictures that let everybody keep up with what you have going on. Plus, later on the pictures will help you realize the progress that you've made.

Roger that on the pics. I work 2 X 24 hour shifts, and teach a class on the opposite nights around 60 miles from home. Life as a public servant lol! I plan on getting the before pics up Friday after I get home.

I have to say that this site...is just...WOW! Amazing group and amazing support!

Thanks!

Bob

Well here we go!!! First off, it is not a Pro Line, it is a Pro Craft...and now it is an empty shell!

Friday was my first day off in weeks, and...it was sooo nice out! I got home from my 24 hour EMS shift, kissed the love of my life and said that I was going outside. I got my gloves on and went to work. I had hacked up some of the deck...in the dark, with an axe the night before (I'm that smart) and it gave me a good idea what I was up against. With prybar and circ saw in hand, I went to work pulling up the carpet and deck material. what I found was not pleasant at all, lots of rotten wood, mold, and foam...so much foam!!

As I hacked the foam out I realized why my boat weighed so much!!! That stuff was SATURATED from years of leaky rivets...I would have sunk fast if I ever hit one of those hard things out there. I pulled all the controls, the helm, and all the stuff associated with each and made a pile in the cellar (she hasn't seen it yet) so that I can work on my center console inside on nasty weather days.

Once I got the deck pulled and all the big trash out, I went to work on the transom. That took a majority of my seven hours total spent on this project. I had to drill rivets, cut welds (tacks) and find nuts buried in foam, which like the rest was soaked! I had to cut some of the aluminum cap off to get to the wood underneath, and even at that, all the mold, rot, dirt, dust, and other moisture born pathogens were doing a fabulous job holding that wood in there. I got angry enough (my son say's I'm like the Hulk...he does not like me when I'm angry) and with a little help from a gorilla bar, I got one corner out. As I pulled, I noticed that my family was up on the porch overhead cheering me on, so with one last growl I yarded that hunk out, held it over my head and let out a roar! Then...I dropped it really fast...it weighed aroudn 100 pounds and was dripping on me....I need to work out!

Here is the link to my project page....ENJOY! https://s1193.photobucket.com/albums/aa346/bobstinboat

Attachments

• 2011-04-22 09.21.32.jpg
    2011-04-22 09.21.32.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 3,040
Still working on the planning of the "new" boat. My aluminum angle is on its way, and I have decided to replace the rivets that I had to drill with Stainless 1/4" and Nylock nuts from Fastenal. Got a good deal at the store here in Ellsworth, Maine and will be ordering more soon.

Still questioning what kind of foam to put in to replace the water logged garbage that came out. Trying to keep it on the cheap like everyone else out there, so any ideas would be appreciated!

Attachments

• 2011-04-22 16.50.13.jpg
    2011-04-22 16.50.13.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 2,987
Well another great weekend and some more work done on the boat. I knew that I had to pull the rivets out of the keel plate and did so with little strain, until I found the crack. Where the flat bottom meets the semi-V it would seem that the factory just folded the panels over and welded them along the bow. this crack was at least 6 inches long, and had pulled open to around 1/2 inch in some places.

I had picked up some alumarod stuff at Tractor Supply, it was made by Hobart and the price was good, $12.00 for 8 sticks...better than any online offer and it is the same stuff. I scuffed the inside of the hull with the wire wheel and then drilled holes on either end of the crack to keep it from getting any bigger. That alumarod layed in there really nice, even on a vertical surface. I went from inside to outside, beating the hull back into shape along the way with a 3 pound lump hammer until the seam was closed and braised together.

I got my honey to hold the wrench inside the hull (she did not know it was going to be so loud!) and I stayed outside with my cordless impact driver and the 5200. I layed a good bead the entire length of the keel, then a good dollop in each hole that used to hold a rivet. I picked up the stainless hardware at Fastenal, pan head screws with a hex head drive, nylock nuts, and fender washers. This worked out VERY well. As the bolts tightened down, the 5200 squeezed out from behind the washer and around the body of the bolt heads.

I pulled the gunwhale caps back into place, and got them tightened down in the same fashion w/o the 5200 and worked on installing the kick plates for the inside of the transom. I have no pictures, becuase I was not even going to touch my phone, but, I am happy with the results. I flipped the beasty over so I could get to the underside of the hull and prepared for some new paint. Aircraft paint stripper is the way to go! Apply with a brush, have a cup of coffee, and hit it iwith a wire brush. Still had to do some sanding with the random orbital to clean up the bad spots, but with bare metal, the primer was applied, and in the hot sun, it dried quickly enough to allow me to apply the first coat of paint. The blue that I picked...well lets just say its a little too blue...kind of reminds me of a tarp...but...its paintted and I'm happy!

Attachments

• 2011-04-30 15.01.38.jpg
    2011-04-30 15.01.38.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 2,912
The center console idea as it would be is not going to work. Made the mistake of taking mamma to a boat dealer and she said "none of these boats have a steering thing in the middle, why would you want one?" Then she brought the kiddos into it...falling off, to which I answered..."well honey, that is why they have vests on"...it was a quiet ride home...JUST KIDDING! She was right, and the console setup would not have left enough floor space and would not have been that easy to navigate around with the kids...So...back to the standard side console we go, but...I'm not going to let it go as a factory option...oh no...(insert Tim Taylor "Urgh O O O ") I am going to make it bigger and better. The aluminum cap was in decent shape, so I kept that and then moved it up...28 inches at the bottom is what I found to be a good height and used 3/4 inch ply to support it...and the fat kid. The dash plate was trash, so that was fabed from 2 sheets of 1/2 inch, glued and pressed and cut to shape. The hole for the wheel shaft was cut, and the whole thing installed.

Outside again in the sun yesterday, I layed it over, and hit it with the fiberglass resin, and layed some mat over the corners to stiffen it up. EMS CAll...BRB

Ok, I'm back. Life saved, calm restored. So the console project is making me happy. I moved the remotes for the engine, flipping the handle around and setting it at an angle matching the face of the console. I then ran the cables, along with the teleflex which worked out well. I moved the console back about 18 inches from its original spot, and raised it about the same so the cables all work well.

My aluminum angle showed up from discount steel yesterday, so when I get out of work in the morning, Im off to build some framework for my front and rear decks. Flooring on friday if all goes well. I have a discount place (surplus/salvage) called Mardens. They have 18X18 thick vinyl tile flooring for cheap! Half the price of the cheapest carpet I can find and just as easy to install.

I do have to somehow cap off the inlets for the livewells, they were located under the original seats. I dont need them and I really dont need those one inch holes in either side of my boat! I was thinking of expanding foam, then some fiberglass...thoughts???

I have to repaint the boat, that blue tarp blue is just too much, so I am going to hit the top of the hull with a nice gloss black, and my honey is going to paint a breast cancer ribbon that will turn into a nice pin stripe. The boat name is going to be "The Boobie Groupie" in honor of my very best friend who walks in the Avon walk in Boston. I came up with the "boobie goupie" name for her cheering section and it is quite fitting! As soon as we get that done, i'll have plenty of pics.

Trailer work is next, need to grind the rust off and start painting that one.

Attachments

• 2011-05-02 15.13.27.jpg
    2011-05-02 15.13.27.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 2,902
Looks like a lot of work but you are really going to have a nice boat when you get done.

What is the width of it? is it a 1648? I want to do a Center Console on an old tracker or similar style boat to yours. They come from the Fact with Center consoles I'm confused as to why you don't have room in this boat?

What are you going to do for a new transom? Since you were able to get the old one out it out in one piece you can use it as a template to cut a new one out of Plywood.

I have seen some guys on here use 2 peices of 1/2 ply, or even 2 pieces of 3/4 ply completely sealed then sandwiched together with glue, bolted together and then encapsulated in fiberglass resin to beef up thier transoms.

It is a 1648, but the way those sides come down inside I would have only had 10-12 inches of space on either side. I am sure you could make the whole console to make it work, I used what I had on hand, re-using the cap, and I am ok with it back on the side. At least I can stand!!!

As far as the transom, I did manage to get it out in one peice, but it was not that easy...lots of rivets to drill, a little bending and a lot of grunting. I did use it as a template, and did use 2 sheets of 3/4. I used loctite plywood cement from HD. Layed the whole tube inbetween the sheets and screwed it, then put a wheeler plow on it overnight to make sure it was tight. I coated the finished product with fiberglass resin to seal it up a bit and then had to practically beat it in to place.

If all goes well, I'll have the motor mounted again in a few weeks. Paramedic pay is not that great and this weekend may be a bit slow on the build. Feel free to ask any questions!!! This site is GREAT and full of resources!!!

Delay of game! There is a lot to be said about using the proper tool for the job. I was working on the helm console yesterday and used a chisel where I should have used a knife...needless to say, I got cut...bled all over the floor, and had to go to the ER for some chemical stitches AKA Crazy Glue.

This weekend should be a good progress shift, as long as I can keep myself from leaking! Looking forward to adding my front deck, and some plywood flooring. Also have to strip the trailer and prime/paint it so can can get the motor mounted and fired up!

Memorial day weekend is the proposed launch date...Keep your fingers crossed!

Glad to see you've been able to keep your sense of humor in all this. Hope you heal quick.

It's hard not too laugh while I'm staring at a small hole in a finger on one of my hands and a 2" gash on the other...

Your build is looking good. My boat is a 1650 with a Center Console. Seems to work all right. I do like the look of the side console better. Here's praying for "smaller" injuries. [-o<

"If the women cant find you handsome...at least let them find you handy!" Love Red Green!

Gash is still open a bit...i'm self treating with steri strips and bandaids...too open for the crazy glue trick, but we are making headway. I should have more pics this afternoon. Thanks for the encouragement!!!!

Ok, back from my last call and wanted to update you guys on the progress of "The Boobie Groupie".

I made my stop at the local HD Friday morning and got home with all my goodies to throw in the deck and fishing platform. It was a nice day actually, sun was out, it was nice and warm, but the wind was blowing off the lake below the house. Time was limited but I made the most of it. I got to cutting the aluminum angle for the fore deck supports and got them installed, tied it into the existing structure, then stood on it...the fat kid is happy!!!! I double riveted all the joints and it is very thouroughly anchored to the sub structure.

I got the 1/2 inch ply at HD for @ $14.00 a sheet (southern pine), made my marks and cuts, then took the peices and layed the thompsons water seal to both sides and all the edges. While that dried, I took the grinder to the trailer and got rid of all the rust and crappy paint.

We spent the weekend with the kiddos out to camp (upta camp if your from Maine) and did get some fishing in on Webb Brook. I got outdone by my honey when she landed a nice 20 inch smallie (I tried to hate her but to no avail). Sunday afternoon I got the main part of the deck in, minus the aft section, got the console placed back and the cables routed, and the kick plate on the aft corner bolted back into place. I got all the rivets replaced that I had to drill with 1/4-20 Stainless hardware (fastenal) with Nyloc nuts...she is solid!

Got my carpet at HD, 52 cents a square foot...best deal I could find anywhere. That is the project for this week, if all goes as planned, she will be wet by Memorial Day! Enjoy the pics!

Attachments

• 2011-05-09 06.41.39.jpg
    2011-05-09 06.41.39.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 1,393
  • 2011-05-08 18.08.59.jpg
    2011-05-08 18.08.59.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 1,393
Had some time in between calls and wanted to give you all an update. Yesterday, after a LLLLOOONNNGGGGG 24 hour shift, it was too nice outside to take a nap, besides, the boat was in need of my attention!

I put the facia board on the front deck and added a sheet of aluminum under for some added structure and support. I layed the last peice of the main deck (aft) and made my cuts for the bilge area. I was out of aluminum angle and was leaning on getting a bit depressed...I hate the look of those gas tanks on the deck...so I went poking around the lumber pile and what to my wandering eyes should appear...a whole pile of 2X2~ I was in heaven!

None were long enough to make the distance across the deck or from gunwhale to gunwhale, but...with some gussett plates, also found in the lumber pile, I was able to make two halves and bind them together rather well. So the rear deck project started at around noon, the tanks layed on either side of center and adjustments made from there. All the new wood was treated with thompsons, and then it was time for me to head out to teach class.

We are going to Boston this weekend to support my dearest friend in the "Avon Walk For Breast Cancer" so the old gal will have to suffer without some love until we return on Monday, but...come Monday...yeah, I feel some carpet coming!

She is up on the trailer, which will make my life so much easier, not having to carry the motor to the transom...I can bring the boat to the motor! That is the next big project!

Attachments

• 2011-05-11 15.00.19.jpg
    2011-05-11 15.00.19.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 1,311
  • 2011-05-11 15.00.26.jpg
    2011-05-11 15.00.26.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 1,311
  • 2011-05-11 15.07.06.jpg
    2011-05-11 15.07.06.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 1,311

Latest posts