New Project Idea????????

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MD746

Reaction score
Ok the State is opening a new park about 7miles from the house The name of the park is Chattahoochee River Bend State Park they plan to open in May . I will finally have a boat ramp to access the Chattahoochee River . I would like to have any and all advice on building a river boat. The river is covered in rocky bottom with shoals and the current is not to bad due to the bends in the river and shoals. . I plan to fish for hybrids or bass. My wish list so far.

1. 1648 welded hull maybe old tracker stablitiy is the key I like to stand and fish?

2. tiller steer 4stroke not sure on HP size?

3. bow mounted trolling motor 12v 55lb thrust.

4. GPS/ Fishfinder.

5. Areated baitwell.

6. Build plenty of storage.

each river is differnt.some are like long lakes. some take a little skill and have a element of danger to navigating them.
i write as preparing for the latter.
theres a phrase "2 is 1 and 1 is none".you want to be as prepared as posible, cause if something fails while downstream getting back to the truck may not be possible.
rivers have more floating debris making prop damage more likely.
a jetdrive might be nice.
have a good tool kit and since you mention rocks a small hole repair kit on board may not be a bad idea.
good visibility in driving position, rivers have more hazards then lakes.
headlights for night time running would be nice. also multiple plug locations for spotlights.

If your going to be running a prop I suggest a Mack's River Runner prop guard.

Since the rive is Rocky and shallow in the area you want to fish maybe you should go with a jet outboard?

If Trackers are your choice and 1648 is the size your looking for.... an old tracker pro16 or 17tx Bass boat should be easy to come by cheap. You can then mod it any way you want. Go for a 60/40 Yamaha Jet.

Or look for a grizzley 1648 and put a Merc 40/30 fourstroke jet tiller on her.