Planning a center console for my project...

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rgpemt

Reaction score
My original post is "Holy refurb project" but wanted to start a new thread with this question...

As I ripped out part of the deck the other day, i pulled the port side seat/live well and WOW! there is all sorts of space! I want to transfer my side console to a center console. I have searched the threads here and see that there are a lot of designs that match what I have in mind, but my question is this:

When I move my throttle remote from a right side mount to a left side mount, how does it work? Do I have to open the box and swap cables around? Do I flip the unit? I was actually thinking of leaving it as a right side mount and cutting a hole in the top of the console, making it like a binnicle mount...

Any ideas or thoughts?

I will get some pics up on Thursday

Bob

Just a caution on the CC vs Side Console, without knowing the dimensions of your boat. Last year I purchased a skiff with 60" beam with a cc and found it difficult to get around the CC, especially with rod holders on the sides. I ended up moving the CC off-center resolving my concern. I mainly wanted the CC because I drive standing and the height of the steering wheel was more conducive to this versus the standard side console that tends to be short assuming a sitting driver. So the caution is to be sure you have adequate lateral space for a CC to get around it.

In my sons remodel of his Lowe 1448 mod V he also wanted to drive standing so we built a side console that was similar in height to a CC. So now he has the best of both worlds. While we built the console open at the base, we could have easily enclosed it for more storage.

Attachments

• Installed console2.JPG
    Installed console2.JPG
    72.2 KB · Views: 453
thank you for the input! All the info I have found on here is soooooooo helpful! This is the greatest site I have found for research, ideas, plans, and a good laugh or two! Thank you again!

Bob

If you intend to make your console higher, make sure you have enough steering cable, so don't install the console and then find out the cable is too short.
My boat has a 48" bottom but the beam is 72", lot of room to move around. My boat is a 1548, and has a 20" wide center console.

Roger that on the cable length...I do believe that I will have to get a longer cable for the teleflex system, plan on ripping and tearing tomorrow with my son...I have a half a day off!!!!

Thank you!!

Latest posts